matcha latte

Noelle

The following morning, the first rays of dawn crept through the windows of the Black Bulls' hideout, casting a soft glow across the halls.

Noelle tiptoed out of Asta's room, trying to make as little noise as possible. The traps had finally deactivated at 7 AM, and she was trying to slip back to her room unnoticed.

Asta was still asleep, snoring lightly under his blanket. As she crept down the hall, she replayed every moment from last night.

The way he had looked at her, the genuine concern in his eyes when she talked about her date with Damon. Moments like those made her heart flutter, but also left her confused and vulnerable.

She wanted to stay strong and composed, but around Asta, her emotions seemed to have a mind of their own.

Suddenly, she heard a familiar voice. "Well, well, well, what do we have here?"

Noelle froze, turning slowly to see Vanessa leaning against the wall, a knowing smirk on her face. Vanessa's eyes twinkled with amusement, and she sipped from her wine bottle.

"Noelle, darling, sneaking out so early? I didn't take you for the type," Vanessa teased, her voice low and playful.

Noelle's cheeks burned with embarrassment. "It's not what it looks like! I got trapped in Asta's room last night because of those stupid hideout traps."

Vanessa chuckled softly. "Sure, sure. Whatever you say. But you might want to work on your sneaking out skills."

Noelle huffed, trying to maintain her composure. "I just didn't want to wake him up. He needs his rest."

"Mm-hmm," Vanessa replied, clearly unconvinced. "Well, your secret's safe with me. Just make sure you don't get caught next time, okay?"

Noelle nodded, grateful for Vanessa's discretion. "Thanks."

"Anyway, the captain asked me to wake everyone up. We're going to the beach today."

Noelle's eyes widened. "The beach? Really?" she asked, trying to shift the focus away from her embarrassing exit.

Vanessa nodded. "Yep. Should be fun, don't you think?"

Before Noelle could respond, Captain Yami appeared seemingly out of nowhere. "Hey, what's all the commotion about?" he grumbled, taking a drag from his cigarette.

Vanessa grinned. "Just telling Noelle about the beach trip, Captain."

Yami's gaze shifted to Noelle. "Hey kid, those your clothes? Looks like something that other brat would wear."

Noelle glanced down at her outfit—a simple shirt and shorts that had a distinctly Asta-like look to it. Her face turned crimson. "Uh... well..."

Vanessa burst out laughing, realizing what had happened. "I hadn't even noticed. Oh, this is priceless!"

Noelle stammered, trying to find a quick excuse. "I... I must have grabbed the wrong shirt in a rush! Bye!" she blurted out, turning on her heel and bolting toward her room.

The captain raised an eyebrow as he watched her flee. "Weird kid," he muttered, shaking his head.

"She's just full of surprises, Captain."

Yami grunted in response. "Whatever. Just make sure everyone's up and ready," he said, turning away to finish his morning routine. "We're leaving as soon as I finish taking a dump."

***

Captain Yami stood on the sandy shore, a subtle grin on his face as he began to split the Black Bulls into two teams for a fierce game of beach volleyball.