Nine

Dear diary

Last night was a total failure. 

I don't know what I was thinking, honestly. I can't believe I agreed to meet with that dick. 

Mom said it was just going to be a date.

A date, my ass. 

The dude wanted to get married to someone he just fucking saw. Get a fucking life, man. It's 2006, not 1906. 

Makes sense for someone who dresses like they stepped off the set of Zoolander. 

Maybe I should have just...

Eliza huffed as she threw the pen down on the journal, bringing her hands up to encase her face in a cage of frustration. She couldn't do this anymore. When she wanted to rant about her issues, writing was always the go to - until it wasn't. Sometimes, her complaints on paper reminded her of things she had said over and over without being heard.

It reminded her that both saying her concerns over and over and writing them down ended the same way. Nothing. 

She needed to get out. 

She needed a change of scenery. 

Something to see other than her own words regurgitated into lines on a piece of paper.

And she knew just the thing. 

She needed something that would guarantee her the transport she wouldn't be able to get from her mother, who was currently pretending she didn't exist. Thanks to her lack of a driver's license and knowledge on how to operate a vehicle, she was left with a little more of a...juvenile choice of transport. 

A skateboard. 

The four wheeled wooden board that had fallen over the top of a pile of discarded dirty clothes on her floor was her only ticket to a horizon beyond  the bedroom window. It had been around since her fifteenth birthday and it had remained far more loyal than any family member she had. 

So, she bestowed it a name, much like Tom Hanks did with a ball in that movie Castaway. 

True lonely person behaviour.

She named it Shaggy. 

After the Scooby-Doo character. 

The dark green board wasn't a foreign feature in her bedroom of punk curiosities and was speckled with stickers of all kinds, from the glittery Lisa Frank stickers to the more vulgar, dark ones printed in bold font. Band names like Nirvana, Wheatus, Green day and The Offspring were stuck all over the board, showcasing the variety of her overplayed playlists. 

Pulling the skateboard out of the clutter of clothing, she held it up and gave each wheel a spin, ensuring that its lack of usage hadn't affected its efficiency. The transparent green wheels spun at a quick pace, continuing for several moments before slowing to their original stagnant position. 

Perfect.

She hugged the skateboard to her side as she hurried out of her room and down the stairs. She looked around for her mother, pleased when the woman didn't appear. The last thing she needed was the woman to suddenly lose the cold shoulder and begin lecturing her about how "adults don't use skateboards".

Luckily enough, her mother didn't seem to be around, and so, within moments, she was out of the house. 

The crisp Autumn air filled her nostrils, gifting her with a sense of ecstasy and clarity. The sun was shining high in the sky, giving slight warmth to the air and giving the perfect balance of temperature. With a grin, Eliza threw the skateboard down on the pavement, stepping forward with one foot and using the other to push her away from the house.