08| Between the Lines

Published on 16th June 2024.
___________________________

Here we go with another chapter.
The chapter is unedited.

And apne pyare pyare comments kar dena, I love to read them. 🫶
I love inline comments more.

♡⁠ Kya uss gali mein kabhi tera jaana hua
Jahaan se zamaane ko guzre zamaana hua

- A K R I T I -

The car in which we were stopped abruptly in the middle of the road. Shlok kept telling me why the car could've stopped, and there were numerous reasons to be afraid.

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

I shook his head and smiled, "Unless you're a mechanic in disguise, I think we're out of luck."

I chuckled nervously, "No such luck, I'm afraid."

This was not my expertise.

He took his phone out of his pocket and dialed someone, telling him to send another car and a mechanic to our location.

Neither it was his I guess.

My eyes roamed to the car, and then around the area. It was prominently safe. At least we were not stranded on an abandoned road. My eyes stopped on a particular person whom I would've never wanted to come across.

"Yash," a whisper left my mouth. This couldn't be him.

This shouldn't be him.

He stopped in front of us. "Akriti," he said, his voice unsettled. I turned my gaze around and looked everywhere but him.

Why does he always want to ruin my life? Wasn't everything that happened in the past enough. Why was he here again?!

Yash took a step closer, his eyes pleading. "I... I was just leaving the office. I saw you and... I wanted to talk. Can we, please?"

Talk?

Please?

This word was not in his dictionary the last time I remember.

I scoffed, and said nothing, but instead shook my head in negative. He was about to hold my hands but I stepped back.

I wanted to look away from him at all costs. My gaze went to Shlok, and that's when I realised he was standing there all the time. God!

I didn't want him to come across all this mess. He was related to my work for god's sake. What impression would it even leave on him if I mix my personal and professional life together.

"And who's this?" Not this nonsense again.

"I'm Shlok," Shlok said, extending his hand to him. "I'm working on the hotel project with Akriti... Our car broke down."

"I see. Well, it's nice to meet you, Shlok." He said and quickly turned to me, leaving almost negligible space between us. "Akriti, please. Just hear me out."

I took a step back, putting distance between us. "I don't want to hear anything you have to say, Yash. You lost that privilege a long time ago."

His shoulders slumped down in defeat, his eyes pleading. If it was me four years ago, I would've surely believed in his words, but not anymore.

He took a deep breath. "I know I made mistakes, but I want to make things right. For us, for Aditya."

Mentioning Adit's name made my heart clench. Adit was the one thing that still connected us, and he knew it.