10| Crossing Lines

Published on 7th July 2024.
_________________________

Another chapter is here.
Do share your comments. I love reading them.

Need a place to hide, but I can't find one near
Wanna feel alive, outside I can't fight my fear

This chapter is in past too,

The days turned into weeks, and the tension between Yash and Akriti remained thick and unresolved. Despite their efforts to communicate, a sense of disconnect lingered, casting a shadow over their interactions.

Yash found himself seeking solace in his work, throwing himself into projects to escape the tense atmosphere at home.

Arya became a constant presence in his life. Their conversations, initially innocent and filled with nostalgia, grew deeper and more personal. She was a refuge, a reminder of a time when life was simpler and happier.

Her laughter was a balm to his wounded soul, and her understanding eyes provided a comfort he hadn't felt in a long time.

One evening, after a particularly stressful day at work, Arya suggested they grab a drink. "Come on, Yash. You look like you could use a break. Let's unwind a bit." She urged, her smile inviting.

Yash hesitated, thinking of Akriti at home, but the prospect of escaping the relentless strain even for a few hours was too tempting to resist. "Alright, let's go." He agreed, trying to ignore the guilt gnawing at the back of his mind.

They found a quiet bar not far from their office. The warm, dim lighting and soft music created an intimate atmosphere. Arya shared stories of her adventures, and Yash found himself laughing more than he had in months.

As the night wore on, their conversation delved deeper into personal matters. Yash opened up about his struggles with Akriti and the emotional distance growing between them. Arya listened intently, her eyes reflecting empathy and concern.

"I feel so lost, Arya. Like I'm failing her, failing us." He admitted, his voice heavy with emotion.

Arya squeezed his hand gently. "You're not failing, Yash. You're just human. It's okay to feel this way."

Her words, combined with the alcohol, lowered Yash's defenses. He looked into her eyes, seeing kindness and understanding. In that moment, he felt an overwhelming need for connection, for someone to hold him and tell him everything would be alright.

Without thinking, he leaned in and kissed her. The kiss was hesitant at first, but it quickly deepened as Arya responded, her hands finding their way to his face. The world outside the bar faded away, leaving only the two of them in a bubble of shared longing and unspoken emotions.

They broke apart, breathing heavily, eyes wide with shock and confusion. "I..." Yash whispered, his voice trembling. "I'm sorry, we shouldn't..."

"I know," Arya said, her voice equally shaky.

Reality hit Yash like a wave, crashing down with the force of his guilt and regret. He pulled back, his mind racing. "I can't do this, Arya. I need to go."

Before she could respond, Yash grabbed his coat and left the bar in a rush, his heart pounding. The cool night air did little to calm the storm of emotions swirling inside him. He walked quickly, his mind a blur of regret and confusion.

How could he have let things go this far?

What had he done?

The walk home seemed interminable, each step weighed down by the enormity of his actions. As he approached the front door, he paused, taking a deep breath to steady himself. He couldn't let Akriti see him like this. He needed to pull himself together, at least for tonight.