Turn 10

*****

*****

Avianna

February 28, 2005- Madrid, Spain

I WAS LOOKING AROUND THE PARK, trying to find Mama and Papa. They told me to stay here for a while and that, they'll be somewhere near to talk about something. Tears silently streamed down my face as fear crept in; I couldn't see either of them. I wanted to yell and cry out loud in hopes of finding them, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. The looks from other parents with their kids in the park were enough to keep me quiet. I felt embarrassed and alone.

The other kids were laughing at me, and the adults were just looking at me, confused. Nobody even tried to help.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when someone suddenly grabbed my arm.

"Are you okay? Why are you crying?" the boy asked, his hazel eyes filled with concern. His light brown hair was parted in the middle, making him look like a coconut.

"I ca-!" I tried to speak, but instead of words, only sobs came out. I cried even louder. "I can't find Mama and Papa!"

"Oh no! Come.  Let's ask my Maman and Papa for help." The boy held my arms as we ran towards his parents. They look surprised when they saw me crying. I stopped for a moment from crying when the three of them started speaking in a different language. I couldn't understand them.

"Hey there sweetie don't cry. Our little boy told us what happened and don't worry, we won't leave you. We'll help you find your parents, okay?" The lady invited me for an embrace. I don't normally talk to strangers but their family seemed so nice and sweet.

We walked around the park trying to look for Mama and Papa. The boy never let go of my arm. He held me like I was a lost puppy. But really, he's the one who looks like a puppy!

"Maybe they just went somewhere to buy something. Toys? Maybe they wanted to surprise you!" The boy tried to sound enthusiastic, and it made me feel a bit better. I knew Mama and Papa weren't like that—they never surprised me with anything. But at that moment, I tried to believe what the boy was saying.

After minutes of walking around the park, we decided to sit on the benches for a while. I was still scared because I wasn't with Mama and Papa, but I knew them. At least, I knew Mama. She would never leave me here. I knew she'd come back and look for me.

Tears automatically streamed down my cheeks once again when I saw Mama from afar. She was in front of the slides, and I ran quickly to her.

"Mama!" I yelled, not caring if everyone was looking at me.

"My hija!" Mama shouted back, hugging me tightly.

"I was so scared. I thought you were going to leave me here."