Chapter 12: Love Always Endures

The twins invited me to their bible study. I felt a bit nervous since it'll be my first time and I wasn't sure of the rules in that bible study.

"Just relax, Jay. They won't eat you." Drew laughed.

"They're all kind. They might think you're gay, because they know about me and Drew. But not all of them used to be in the LGBT community." Gabe explained.

"You'll only need to tell them your name, and what you want to gain from the bible study as a newcomer."

"Ok. No biggie. My hands are a bit sweaty."

They both laughed at me. To distract myself, I thought about how I would ask some of the people at the bible study my famous question, "What is love?"

"We're here." Gabe announced as he parked facing a two story building that looked more like a house than a church. In fact, we were in a nice neighborhood.

"We sometimes meet in Mr. McDonald's house. He's really nice, almost like a grandpa. You'll see." Drew got out of the car excitedly.

I walked behind them feeling a bit awkward. I love bible studies, but because my faith is not fully aligned with mainstream christianity, I actually have a hard time with religious Christians sometimes. They seem to generally think that I'm attacking their faith when I refer to Jesus as Yahusha.

"Good afternoon! Oh, I see a new face here." An elderly lady greeted us at the door before making room for us to enter.

"This is Jason, our friend. Jay, this is Mrs. McDonald, Mr. McDonald's wife." Drew gave the introductions.

"Nice to meet!" Mrs. McDonald gave me a friendly side hug.

I was automatically put at ease by her genuine smile and her caring attitude.

I was brought to the living room where several faces stared at me. None of them I knew, which is not a surprise. I instantly felt like a shy little kid.

"Don't just stare at Jay. He might run away." Drew said while guiding me to an unoccupied couch.

Drew sat at my side and Gabe sat at my other side.

"I'm a little nervous, guys. I might even drink water."

They laughed.

"You sound like you have an iced tea addiction." Gabe smiled.

"I'm only here for you two. But they're kinda making me self-conscious. Why is that guy staring at me?"

I didn't have to point at the guy, as he started walking towards us. He was a short guy with a thin mustache.

"Oh, that's just Peyton. He's really sweet." Drew said.

"Too sweet." Gabe added almost in a whisper.

"Hey! Is he a friend?" The guy Peyton gave me a big smile.

"Yes." Gabe placed his arm on my shoulder.

"He's like a brother to us." Drew also put his arm around my shoulder.

I wasn't sure how to act. So, I just smiled at Peyton with a simple "Yeah."

"Anyone want cookies?" Mrs. McDonald was bringing a tray of chocolate chip cookies to the table in the center. Everyone excitedly drew near to the food.

"They're delicious!" Drew exclaimed.

"Your cookies have just the perfect amount of sweetness." Gabe nodded.

"You boys flatter me." She laughed.

"Yummy."

I took a cookie, still warm from the oven. It was chewy and sweet in my mouth. It was really good. I might come back again.