Chapter 1: A Second Shot at Life

Wirt's pov

It hasn't been long since Greg and I were discharged from the hospital, after what others would call a near-death experience, and let's just say, our life is slowly getting better. I've become more confident, Sara and I have gotten close, and my clarinet playing skills blew everyone's minds. Greg is still as cheerful as ever, and with our frog Jason, the two were tighter than ever before. Life is great. Until that one day, everything changed.

It was another rainy night. The pitter-patter of the raindrops and thunder made up for a natural spectacle. I was sitting at home doing a tape of poetry when suddenly, I got a visit from Greg and Jason, who were perched happily on my brother's head.

"Wirt, Wirt! You'll never guess what happened!" He said, jovially jumping up and down as if springs were tied to his shoes.

I chuckled.

"What? Did Jason find himself a mate?" I asked.

"No! We've got a new Neighbor, and he's coming to town and he'll be our newest, and bestest neighbor in the whole world!"

I rolled my eyes with a smile. I was accustomed to my little half-brother's excitable nature, but this was another level.

"Calm down, Greg, what do they look like?" I asked, finally giving in to my curiosity.

Greg shrugged his shoulders.

"I dunno, but mom says he's a little... eccentric."

A thought came into my mind, what if he was like some of the people we've met in The Unknown? But I shouldn't get ahead of myself, since he was new, I shouldn't jump into conclusions, the least Greg and I could do is make him feel welcome and hope for the best. After all,

What's the worst that can happen...?