four. p-a-r-t-why the fuck not

5:43 pm, august twenty-second  - kenzie | hacketts quarry summer camp entrance

"back, back, everybody back!" mr. h yelled out as the heavy smoke cascading up from the engine turned into flames burning through the metal of the hood.

"holy fuck!" dylan exclaimed as the smoke coming from the hood burst into flames. jake took it upon himself to try and open the hood as dylan pushed me back a bit.

"what the hell!?" emma gasped.

"i can fix this!" jacob announced and grabbed his water bottle from the front cupholder. knowing that it's just wasteful as it wasn't gonna help, ryan tore the water bottle from his hand.

"what the fuck?" i whispered underneath my breath in utter confusion as the scene unfolded and mr. h rushed to throw a bucket of water on the fire.

"goddammit!" mr. h slammed the hood door shut and it closed with a loud bang, making me flinch. everyone stayed silent as mr. h silently tried to figure out what the hell to do next.

"don't worry! we can just spend one more night at camp," jacob shrugged, trying to reassure mr. h as ryan— and pretty much everyone else— glared at him.

"no! god dammit!" mr. h screamed out, looking around and marching off to his car. "ryan, come here," he led ryan to his car, leaving the rest of us dumbfounded.

"excuse me?" emma scoffed, "what the actual hell just happened?"

"ah- uh- i don't have anything to say this time..." dylan spoke, his eyes on the ground. i could practically see the gears in his brain rusting as they tried to figure out what the hell just happened.

soon, ryan came back to the group with new information. "chris said we need to bunker up in the lodge for the night. lock the door and wait it out until morning."

"or..." dylan spoke up. i simply pinched my nose bridge.

"or?" jacob crossed his arms over his chest.

"we have one final bonfire for all time. no mr. hackett, no screaming kids. just a bunch of grown ass adults ready to get their party on!" jacob immediately agreed.

"hell yeah! that's my man! nick's in, what do you say nick?"

"yeah, i'm in," nick shrugged.

"kaitlyn?" jacob pointed to the girl.

with a sigh, katelyn shrugged. "i go where my people need me."

"oh, em!" jake was now practically jumping in place like a toddler.

"yeah, fine, whatever," emma shrugged, simply annoyed at jakes antics.

"abi?"

"i don't know, mr. hackett seemed pretty insistent that we stay in the lodge," abi shrugged. kaitlyn let out a scoff.

"abiiii! come on!" kaitlyn practically begged. abi, reluctantly, let out a sigh and nodded.

"fine. i'm in, i guess," she shrugged, "only if kenzies in."

i crossed my tattooed arms over my chest and simply shrugged. "do i have a choice?"

"no," dylan immediately shook his head, wrapping his arm around me and squeezing me close. i couldn't resist wrapping my own arms around his torso and letting out a small giggle.

"ryan?" all attention turned to ryan who immediately shook his head.

"no. chris seemed pretty freaked," ryan immediately shook his head.

"come on, ry! he was probably just trying to scare us," i protested as i took in the scent of dylans cologne, mahogany teakwood mixed with my scent of vanilla.

"why would he be trying to scare us?" ryan questioned.

"don't be a party pooper," dylan pouted, raising his hand for a high-five. "come on, touch my hand, ryan."

reluctantly, ryan gave him a high-five and sighed, "fine. i'm in. but, just so it's said, this is not a good idea."

"hell yeah! dylan, ryan, figure out a way to charge the phones, abi, nick, get firewood, emma and i will go look through the stores for anything we can find, kaitlyn, and kenzie, you two go get everything else ready!"

kaitlyns eyes met mine and the both of us shrugged as dylan practically tore his body from mine.

"be safe, alright? come find me if you need something," dylan nodded toward me, gently pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"oh my god, hurry the fuck up!" ryan groaned and turned away from us as the rest of the group began to disperse.

"yeah, i will," i nodded as kaitlyn pulled me away from them and we headed off into the woods.

6:00 pm, august twenty-second - kenzie | hacketts quarry woods

"so," kaitlyn giggled as we walked through the woods, "you and dylan?"

"me and dylan?" i questioned.

"yeah. you and dylan. you've been pretty handsy all summer," she spoke up, her hands on the ground, watching her step as we weren't walking on a trail anymore.

"we've been pretty handsy a lot longer than all summer. going on a little over a year," i nodded as i spoke.

"so, you're actually official? not pulling an emma and jacob?" she teased, causing me to let out a small laugh.

"yeah, we're official. we're going to the same college, we already have an off-campus apartment until we can afford a house," i spoke. kaitlyns brows raised, impressed with us. something glimmered in the corner of my eye and i snapped my head to a nearby tree, stopping dead in my tracks.

mckenzie....

"what?" i spoke aloud. kaitlyn, confused, stopped as well.

"what?" kaitlyn repeated.

"sorry. i thought i heard something," i shook my head. i was stressed and honestly a bit tired, probably tripping out as the sun was setting.

"i see something," kaitlyn made her way toward a nearby tree, pulling something off the bark. "the hanged man?"

"the what?" i questioned, peering over my shoulder and shining my phone's flashlight at what she was holding. a tarot card. confused, i took it from her hand shoved it in my pocket. "i found another one in the lodge. who's leaving them?"

"mr. hackett?" kaitlyn asked. i shrugged. "doesn't matter now. it's getting dark, we need to get to the fire pit."

"yeah, yeah, let's go," i nodded.