Chapter 28

~ 28 ~
𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫

Manik looked up from his desk, his eyes narrowing with concern as he took in her appearance. "Yes, Nandini. Please, have a seat." He waited until she was seated before continuing. "Can you give me the file?" he asked. Nandini handed it over with trembling hands, which Manik noticed with growing concern.

As he reviewed the file, he spoke gently but firmly. "I've noticed you haven't been yourself lately. You and Navya both seem... well, frankly, you both look exhausted and unwell. Is everything alright?"

Nandini forced a weak smile, though it didn't reach her eyes. "I'm fine, sir. Just a bit stressed and tired. It's nothing to worry about."

Manik wasn't convinced. He leaned forward, his expression serious and filled with concern. "Nandini, stress and tiredness don't cause such drastic changes. If something is going on, you need to let us know. We're here to help."

She swallowed hard, her mind racing. The thought of sharing even a fraction of what she had witnessed was terrifying. "I appreciate your concern, sir, but I promise, it's just personal issues. I'll be fine."

Manik sighed, leaning back in his chair. He observed her closely, his worry deepening. This was not the strong, straightforward Nandini he knew. Something was clearly wrong. "Alright, but if you need time off or someone to talk to, don't hesitate to reach out. Your health and well-being are important."

"Thank you, sir," Nandini replied, her voice barely audible.

Manik's concern was evident in the furrow of his brow and the tightness around his mouth. He watched Nandini closely, noting how she avoided eye contact and how her hands trembled slightly. This was not the confident, capable employee he was accustomed to. Even as she tried to convince him she was fine, he could see through the flimsy excuse. Her excuse for feeling sick and stressed was almost childishly unconvincing, but he chose not to press further at the moment.

"Alright, Nandini," he said finally, his voice softening. "But remember, my door is always open."

As she left his office, Nandini felt the weight of their secret pressing down even more. She knew Manik was right—she wasn't fine, and neither was Navya. They were barely holding on, the fear and guilt consuming them bit by bit. She felt a pang of sadness and regret that she couldn't confide in him, knowing that involving him could put him in danger as well.

Returning to her desk, Nandini glanced around the office, her heart heavy. She felt eyes on her, the unspoken questions and concerns of her colleagues adding to her stress. Her movements were mechanical, her thoughts a jumbled mess of fear and uncertainty.

Navya caught her eye from across the room, offering a small, supportive smile. They were in this together, but the burden was immense. The days dragged on, each one a new challenge to keep their secret and maintain some semblance of normalcy.

As the week continued, both women struggled to cope with the growing fear and the haunting memories of that night. They clung to each other for support, trying to navigate their new reality while carrying a secret that threatened to overwhelm them at every turn.

🥀
Manik | Incapable clients

It's been a couple of days now that I've noticed Nandini and Navya going through something unusual. I have no idea what happened over the weekend, but come Monday, they were different. They don't interact much or laugh with their friends in the cafeteria. The boys in their group look at them with a mix of sadness and sympathy, trying their best to cheer them up. From the CCTV footage connected to my PC, I can see that their smiles are forced. Despite the boys' efforts, something is definitely wrong. I need to find out what it is, but right now, I'm dealing with my own issues.

"What's wrong with you? Is this the time to call? Didn't I tell you not to disturb me now? I'm a busy man!" I snap. The person on the other end apologizes, but then says something that makes my blood boil.

"Are you all so incompetent that you can't handle a single thing? Do you know how critical this project is? I don't want any more delays. I've invested enough time and money into this. If you can't handle it, I'll fire you all," I hiss, feeling my patience fray.

The caller stammers, "We... we are trying our best, but it might take a few more days. It's not easy to locate—"

I cut them off sharply, "A few more days? Do you realize how unacceptable that is?" I pause, struggling to control my temper. "This is a high-priority project. I need results, not excuses. Do whatever it takes to get it done. And if you can't handle it, maybe it's time to find someone who can," I finish, my voice dripping with sarcasm and barely-contained fury.

"Y-yes, sir. We'll expedite the search and update you soon," the caller mumbles before I hang up.

I exhale deeply to calm myself, my hands shaking slightly. These idiots are messing up an essential operation, and I can't afford any mistakes. Mr. Daniel glances at me curiously, but I force a smile and wave it off. "Just a minor setback with a project," I say, trying to sound nonchalant. "Some people can't seem to handle responsibility."

Mr. Daniel nods slowly, but his eyes linger on me a moment longer than comfortable. I lean back in my chair, steepling my fingers as I try to regain my composure. "Anyway, where were we?" I say, attempting to steer the conversation back to business.

As we resume our discussion, I casually add, "This is regarding the other company of ours, the one we're soon announcing a new product for. You know how critical this project is, right?"I explain the situation. He looks worried, trying to reassure me that we'll get through this. "Don't worry, Manik. We'll complete the project on time. No one wants to face your anger."

Mr. Daniel smiles reassuringly and continues saying, "I understand, Mr. Malhotra. Everything will go alright."

I nod, my mind still racing. If it doesn't go alright, I'll make sure it does. I need that... information fast. This project cannot afford to go wrong; it's essential and crucial for me.

Then, out of nowhere, Gautam brings up Nandini. He's noticed the same changes in her and Navya. They seem different, distracted, yet they're still completing their tasks on time. Gautam's worried they're not sleeping or eating properly. I agree, admitting I don't know what's wrong, but I assure him that we shouldn't force them to talk. Eventually, they'll come to us if something's wrong. I trust my employees. If they need help, they know we're here for them.

"Thank you, Manik. You're an amazing boss," Gautam says, smiling. His words bring a rare, genuine smile to my face. I take pride in being appreciated, but something about Nandini's current state worries me deeply. She doesn't trust me enough to confide, or maybe she's in real trouble. If she were just unwell, she'd take leave. But she insists on working, and her odd behavior—like being scared to go anywhere alone—fuels my curiosity. What happened to her?

A few weeks ago, I wouldn't have cared. Nandini was just Miss Murthy, someone I disliked and wanted to take revenge on. But now, I care about her. She's one of the best employees I've ever had, not just because of her work ethic but because she's valuable to my company. She knows how to handle business, how to approach tasks differently, and serves the society well. Her efforts and sincerity are unmatched.

Despite everything, Nandini keeps going. I admire her strength. She's an incredible woman, and I don't want her to suffer anymore. I've caused her enough pain already. Now, seeing her in distress pains me, not just as her boss but as a human. I hope whatever she's going through ends soon. I don't want my employees to suffer, not because it affects their work, but because they're human. We all have feelings, and I genuinely wish for her well-being.

1,372 words