Chapter 41

~ 41 ~
𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫

Manik remained silent for a few minutes, his intense gaze fixed on Nandini. The silence stretched on, making Nandini's anxiety rise. She wanted to know what he had to say, but his silence was making her worry grow with each passing second. Finally, he took a deep breath, his eyes softening, yet he maintained eye contact.

"Nandini, my great-grandfather was part of the mafia, and he was the leader. Although I am the heir to this legacy, passed down through generations, I don't engage in illegal activities. However, I do eliminate bad men. Normally, killing makes you a criminal, but I target those who are trafficking humans or committing other heinous crimes. I am a businessman, as you know, but I also make sure to eradicate any illegal activities. So, in a way, you can say I am a Mafia Leader for my clan, but I haven't done anything unless it was necessary."

Manik looked at Nandini, who was visibly scared. Her expression made it clear that she was worried and frightened. Understanding this, Manik's eyes softened further as he tried to reassure her.

"I have connections in the business world, and many businessmen are involved in shady dealings, though they don't reveal it to the media. There are some good mafias too, based on their principles and upbringing. Despite my lineage, I am not cruel. I might scare or threaten someone, but I would never kill innocent people or deal with drugs or other illegal activities. Believe me, Nandini."

Nandini's fear was palpable. Manik could see the distress in her eyes, the way her hands trembled slightly. He leaned closer, his voice becoming more gentle, more urgent.

"Listen, Nandini," he continued, his tone earnest. "There are many businessmen and even celebrities who have connections to crime syndicates or lead double lives. The media often doesn't cover these connections unless there's a huge scandal or a murder. We all have our other sides, but trust me, Nandini, I am not here to harm you. I am not someone who would kill innocent people. I don't deal with drugs or weapons. My only focus is on eliminating those who do unspeakable things like human trafficking or rape. Please, trust me."

Nandini's eyes were wide with fear, her breathing quick and shallow. She was struggling to process everything she had just learned. Manik reached out, making her turn towards him and taking her hands in his, his touch firm yet reassuring.

 Manik reached out, making her turn towards him and taking her hands in his, his touch firm yet reassuring

"Nandini, look into my eyes," he said softly. "Do you see any intention to harm you in them? No, you don't. My eyes will be the witness of my true feelings. I am not here to harm you or anyone innocent. I would never hurt you."

Nandini slowly nodded, her eyes searching his for any hint of deceit. She gulped, trying to steady her nerves. Manik continued to speak, his voice steady and filled with sincerity.

"I promise you, Nandini, I will protect you against Aryaman or anyone else who tries to harm you. You are safe with me. I am not here to bring you any pain or fear. Please, believe me."

Nandini's fear began to ebb away, replaced by a cautious hope. She could see the honesty in Manik's eyes, feel the sincerity in his words. Slowly, she began to relax, her trust in him growing.

"Okay, Manik," she whispered, her voice trembling but resolute. "I trust you."

Manik smiled softly, relieved. He knew it would take time for Nandini to fully come to terms with everything, but he was willing to wait and prove his intentions were true. He would protect her, no matter what.

Nandini said softly, "I understand, Manik. I know you're not a bad man, and I don't judge you or your family. I've been following you, and I know you're not like that. You scared me, and I am still a bit scared of you, monster Manik."

Manik smirked slightly at her words at 'Monster Manik' but then he grew serious. "Nandini, Aryaman doesn't know that Navya is aware of his intentions, of what he did. You are the primary target, and you are in danger. We need to make sure Aryaman stays away from you."

Nandini nodded, her worry evident. Manik gave her a small, reassuring smile. "I know this is a lot to take in, Nandini, but I'm here for you. We will get through this together. Stay strong, like you always have."

Nandini felt warmth spread through her chest. "I feel safer knowing you're with me, Manik. I'll stay strong."

Manik nodded, taking a deep breath. "We need to be cautious. I'll assign security for both you and Navya. Don't go anywhere alone. If you do need to go somewhere, my security will accompany you. If anything feels off, let me know immediately. We will handle this together."

Nandini felt a mixture of fear and relief. The gravity of the situation was overwhelming, but Manik's presence and determination gave her a sense of security. Manik squeezed her hand reassuringly, giving her a warm smile, which she reciprocated, feeling thankful for his support.

856 words