Chapter 4: The Festival of Fools & Incident

While festival was going on and Clopin was singing "Topsy Turvey," Agnès focused on her dancing while Djali watched.  She did, however, get a glimpse of Frollo's gothic carriage through corner of her eye.

  She did, however, get a glimpse of Frollo's gothic carriage through corner of her eye

She tried not to think out it and continued on doing what she was doing.  She prayed in her head that Frollo would not recognize her onstage.  Being punished was the last thing she needed.  

However, the thought of messing up in front of the whole city was still utterly humiliating.  Next thing she knew she heard Clopin announce,

"Come one!  Come all!  Hurry, hurry, here's your chance!  See the mystery and romance!  Come one!  Come all!  See the finest girl in France, make an entrance to entrance!  Dance La Esmeralda...Dance!"

On the last word, the gypsy king disappeared in a puff of smoke, and Agnès appeared in his place.  She proceeded to perform a sultry dance, pretending that the crowd wasn't there.  

She was also wearing the moon and stars scarf that was covering the bottom half of her face, in order to prevent her adoptive father from recognizing her.

"So far, so good," she thought to herself.

"Look at that disgusting display!" Frollo spat in disgust from his reserved tent.

"Yes, sir!" Phoebus spoke enthusiastically.

Agnès managed to hear it, and was relieved that her disguise worked.  She took one of the spears that a guard was holding and did a final pole dance with it, finishing it off.

After everyone cheered and threw gold coins at her, while Clopin went on to announce that the ugliest face contest was about to start.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, the piece de resistance!  Here it is, the moment you've been waiting for!  Here it is, you know exactly what's in store!  Now's the time we laugh until out sides get sore!  Now the time we crown the King of Fools!  You all remember last year's king!?!"  The last year's king, carried on the shoulders of the crowd, belched loudly.

"So make a face that's horrible and frightening! Make a face as gruesome as a gargoyle's wing!  For the face that's ugliest will be the King of Fools!  Why?" he sung out loud to the crowd.  The crowd began singing along with him.

"Ugly folks, forget your shyness!" he shouted out.  "You could soon be called your highness!"  Clopin began been pulling contestants onto the stage, including Quasimodo.  "Unmask them!" he whispered to Agnés.