Chapter 11: Free at Last

After Frollo broke into the cathedral with the sword that he took from a guard earlier the archdeacon ran up to him, attempted to stop him from going any further.

"Frollo, have you gone mad?!  I will not tolerate this assault on the house of God!" he cried out, purposely standing in the minister's way, trying to prevent him from getting by.

"Silence, you old fool!  The gypsy girl and I have unfinished business to attend to.   And this time, you will not interfere!" he snapped as he shoved the archdeacon to the ground, causing him the fall partially down the spiral stairs.  

He then closed the door and locked it, so the archdeacon couldn't follow him.  Meanwhile up in the bell tower, Quasimodo, Agnés, and Djali were celebrating their victory.  

"We've done it, Esmeralda!  We've beaten them back!" he exclaimed jubilantly.

"I know, come and see!" she exclaimed joyfully, while they stared down at all of the molted lava hundreds of feet below them.

During this time, Frollo slowly emerged from around the corner, ready to stab Quasimodo with a dagger he had on him.  Djali noticed and quickly alerted the couple.  

Just in the nick of time, Quasimodo turned around and struggled with the judge briefly, before wresting the dagger out of his hands and throwing him into the corner of the balcony.

"Now, now, listen to me..." he spoke cowardly.

"No, you listen!  All my life you have told me the world is a dark, cruel place.  But now, I see that the only thing dark and cruel about it is people like you!" Agnés exclaimed angrily at him.  At this, Frollo drew out the sword and got up from the ground, now wanting to kill her too.

"Run!" Quasimodo exclaimed in fear as he, Agnés, and Djali made a run for it.  

He also managed to drop the dagger at the same time.  It would be completely useless at this point since Frollo had a sword on him.

He followed, but when he caught up, he saw nothing but gargoyles.  After looking left and right fro them, he looked out over the edge and found Quasimodo hanging there with Agnés and Djali.

  After looking left and right fro them, he looked out over the edge and found Quasimodo hanging there with Agnés and Djali