Chapter 18 - An Unexpected Recruitment

"A child of Aphrodite..." Yujin mumbled to herself as she walked towards the dining pavilion for breakfast.

She, Yena and Chaewon had internally discussed who they felt like choosing after dinner. It was a big decision because of the magnitude of the quest at hand. Though it wasn't a done deal, Yena and Chaewon were already friends with children of Apollo and Athena respectively, so they had an idea of who to ask to join them on their quest. Yujin, on the other hand, was the only one who'd spoken to campers from the goddess of love's cabin. This meant she was the one who was ultimately assigned to pick one.

The second she entered the pavilion; she began scanning for where the Aphrodite table was. It wasn't that difficult though given they were (though she wouldn't admit it to their faces) the best-looking people at camp. Somehow, they even made the orange camp Half-Blood shirts that everyone was wearing look fashionable.

As she walked over to the group that looked to be in the middle of gossiping, one of the Aphrodite kids noticed her and whispered something to the rest of the table.

"Hey-"

"Nope! None of us are going on this silly little quest," one of the girls immediately said before Yujin could finish her sentence.

She had a feeling this was going to happen given their contrasting reaction last night compared to all the other cabins.

"Listen, I don't know how things work around here yet, but Seunggi-sunbae said we needed a child of Aphrodite to complete this quest."

One of the guys, who Yujin remembered as Hyunjin, scoffed. "That's what he says, but that doesn't mean that's what the quest is saying. Prophecies are usually more complicated."

The rest of the table nodded in agreement.

"It mentioned an owl, raven, and peacock. How many other cabins here have a god represented by a peacock?" Yujin asked.

"Maybe it was being literal? What if you actually need birds to solve that joker's riddle or whatever it was?" another girl asked.

"You mean the trickster's game?" Yujin pinched the bridge of her nose in exasperation. These campers reminded her of all the snobby rich kids in every school she'd attended, and she'd attended a lot of schools growing up.

"In any case, you're already three demigods. Rules say that quests should only have three members. There are stories of the extra members dying!"

This information caused Yujin to hesitate. She didn't know about that little quirk. Were the mystical laws of this world that strict?

"Well, there was that one famous quest with the seven demigods that went to Greece and saved the world, right?" one of the girls said.

The others shushed her immediately. "Be quiet, Danielle. We're trying to make a point! Do you want to go on a quest?"

The girl, Danielle, shook her head vigorously in response.

Ugh, these guys are impossible... Yujin thought. She was just about to walk away when someone cleared her throat from behind.

It was Wonyoung, looking stunning as usual. "You need one of us to be on your team so badly?"

"If you guys don't want to come along, then whatever. We can do this without someone whining in our ears about makeup every five minutes," Yujin said in an irritated tone before turning away.

"Stop." Wonyoung commanded, and despite trying her best to move, Yujin's legs froze in place.

"Maybe you should market better. What would one of us get from joining your quest?' Wonyoung then asked.