Chapter 2: Inaugural

A few months had passed since Hiyori joined the ZIA, and in that time, she had become a formidable member through rigorous training and experience. With Hiyori and Keith now well-prepared, Kyros decided it was the right moment to assign them their first mission.

"Morning. I trust the exercise regimen hasn't worn you two out too much," Kyros chuckled as Hiyori and Keith entered his office, looking visibly tired. They settled into the couch as Kyros began to brief them on their mission. 

"You two will be tasked with infiltrating Midora-Fermer to retrieve our informant stationed within the Tapeinos government. We recently received word that he is alive but being held captive. Our communication team has pinpointed his location, so your mission is to extract him without drawing too much attention. Think you're up for the task?" He smiled, looking at them expectantly. 

Hiyori and Keith exchanged glances, a mix of determination and anxiety in their eyes. "We're ready," Keith said firmly, and Hiyori nodded in agreement.

"Good," Kyros said, handing them a folder. "Here are the details. Study the layout of the building and the schedules of the guards. You'll leave tonight."

That evening, Hiyori and Keith geared up, Hiyori securing her katana and Keith checking his rifle. They both knew the gravity of their mission. Failure was not an option.

The journey to Midora-Fermer was tense. The city, known for its human trafficking, black markets, and smuggling, loomed ominously as they approached. They parked their vehicle a few blocks away from their target building to avoid suspicion.

Using the intel provided, they navigated the dark alleys until they reached the back entrance of the building where their informant was held. Hiyori, with her light imbue, used her katana to cut through the lock silently. Keith, using his psychic abilities, scanned the area for any signs of trouble.

They slipped inside, moving stealthily through the dimly lit corridors. Hiyori's light imbue provided just enough illumination to see without drawing attention. They reached a security door, and Keith used his psychic imbue to disable the electronic lock.

As they crept closer to the room where the informant was held, they heard voices. Two guards were standing watch. Keith signaled Hiyori to hold back. With precise control, he used his psychic abilities to cause a distraction down the hallway. As the guards turned away, Hiyori dashed forward, her katana slicing through the air to incapacitate them silently.

They opened the door to find the informant, bruised but alive. "We're here to get you out," Hiyori whispered.

The informant nodded, his eyes filled with relief. "They're expecting a shift change in five minutes," he said. "We need to move quickly."

Keith helped the informant to his feet while Hiyori kept watch. They retraced their steps, but as they neared the exit, an alarm sounded. "They've found the guards," Keith muttered.

"Move, now!" Hiyori urged. They sprinted towards the exit, but a group of armed men blocked their path. Keith's rifle was up in an instant, psychic bullets flying, while Hiyori's katana danced through the chaos, her light magic blinding their foes.

They burst out of the building into the alley, the informant in tow. The city's underworld was waking up to the commotion. Adrenaline pumping, they sprinted toward their vehicle.

Just as they reached it, a shadowy figure emerged, blocking their path. "Thought you could sneak in and out without consequences?" the man sneered.

Hiyori stepped forward, her katana glowing with light imbue. "We don't have time for this," she said, her voice icy. She lunged into the air, aiming to strike down the figure, but he blocked her attack with a shadow-imbued shield, swallowing her light.