Chapter 16: Strays - Part 1

I do not own any of the Star Wars and DC characters and ideas represented in this work.

Luke studied Saint Walker as the older padawan deflected an incoming barrage of blaster fire from the training remote targeting him. Each low energy shot was aimed at each leg, arm, and torso. The shots dissipated once they made contact with Walker's newly built lightsaber.

In terms of lightsaber training, Luke has started teaching Saint the very basics of Shii-Cho, which include its basic stances, parries, strikes, and velocities. He hasn't taught him any other form, though; he has thought about showing the bare basics of Soresu, Shien, and Ataru. That, however, won't be until Saint has gotten through the basics first. Luke has no plans on teaching him right now the more difficult forms like Makashi or Juyo, or at least not yet.

In addition to lightsaber training, Luke has been teaching Saint Walker different types of mediation, force augmentation, and force perception since his apprenticeship started last week. To Luke, Saint Walker has shown to be promising, though while he has been having trouble getting into the combative side of being a Jed, that could be resolved by further training and repetition.

Instead of using the open space where they landed the J-Wing, the area that used to be the meditation area just outside of the house was now a training or sparring area. Square-like, the area is filled with soft sand to ease any rough training sessions that can happen. Regarding Saint's living situation, he has no current problems sleeping in the guest room.

With the physical aspects of the Force being taught to the new Jedi-in-training, Luke has begun teaching him the history of the Jedi, lore, knowledge, and anything else Luke can give him to start his journey into the wider world. Since Luke was in a totally different reality, Luke's collection of lost Jedi knowledge, which took the form of holocrons and books, made it difficult to pass on tradition.

However, despite the unexpected exodus that will lose Luke's ability to pass on knowledge to the next generation of Jedi, he has some things he kept in his X-Wing between travels. One of them was the Jedi Manual he found in one of the Emperor's storehouses after his defeat. Coincidentally, this very manual was the one that Yoda used during his time as a Padawan, which he gave to his apprentice, Dooku, then passed it on to Qui-Gon Jinn, to Obi-Wan, Luke's father, and finally to Ahsoka Tano. After her departure from the order, assumingly, his father must've kept it, seeing how that was how Sidious got hold of it.

To give Saint Walker the chance to study the book, he had to teach Saint Walker how to read and write. In all of this, between training and teaching Saint what he has to know, the Padawan wasn't the only one learning.

Luke remembers that one quote Ashoka told him: "Sometimes, the student guides the master."

Luke was the master, and Saint Walker is the learner; however, that doesn't mean Luke can't learn anything from his Padawan. Saint was older than Luke; he will give them that. Yoda once told him that age doesn't usually confer wisdom, but Saint, at this point, was in middle age. He already had a life before this new one he picked up; he was married, had kids, and was an inspiring citizen in his village. Saint, in the short time he knows him, is a great man who is open-minded, calm, and humble; he can already see that he will be a very wise and powerful Jedi indeed.

With Saint giving some advice in adulthood, he also gave teachings to the Astonian martial arts he had mastered. He was a religious man, but he picked up martial arts as a way of defense for himself and his late family. Luke has been taught combatives before; Uncle Owen taught him how to fist fight, and during his time as a Rebel Commander, he learned advanced hand-hand combat styles like K'tara. Chewie taught him the Wookie martial art, Wrruushi, which Luke taught himself further on his own time. During Luke's travels in recovering lost Jedi techniques, he found sources and manuals on the Jedi art, Broken Gate. He even got some tips on the basics of Teräs Käsi.

Luke couldn't say he was skilled in hand-to-hand in comparison to his lightsaber skills, but he was sure to himself that he wasn't a novice either. Having someone teach another martial art is not only helpful to Luke's combative skills, but it'll also increase the bond between him and Saint.

Looking at the sky, Earth's primary was starting to hide under the trees, and the stars were beginning to appear. The trying remote, flushing out air in its movement, let out another burst; this time, however, it was relentless.

Saint blocked six shots before the seventh penetrated his defense and landed a stinging hit on his leg. He let out a groan in pain and dropped to the sandy arena, butt first in a thud. His lightsaber dropped next to him, and the green blade retreated back to the leather wrapped hilt. Saint comforted and rubbed the area of skin he got shot at. Thankfully, it was only a training bolt; it would only be sore for at least an hour.

Saint knew he was lucky it wasn't a real blaster bolt. Smirking, he went to Saint and helped him to his feet. Saint clipped the lightsaber on his belt that Luke provided, which wasn't too difficult on his own but was a shade of brown. Luke has thought about giving him makeshift Jedi robes, but in the situation they are in, they will have to make do with what they have.

Saint hissed at the pain as he still rubbed the pseudo-blaster wound. "I apologize that I failed you, master."

Luke dismissed him, "There is nothing with failure, Saint. My master once told me failure is the best teacher we all can learn from."

"Heh, Master Yoda, am I correct?"

Luke nodded, "There's no rush to all of this," he gestures all around them. "There is no race in this; sometimes it's best to take our time; you can't rush a seedling to sprout into a tree."

Saint Walker took in the world view, "I understand," he bows out of respect. "I am proud to be your student, master."

Luke responds the same way: "And I'm proud of the ways you're going. Come one, it's getting dark; we ought to get some sleep."

The two returned to their rooms to sleep during the balmy night. During his sleep, Luke expected a dream to occur, but what he got was a nightmare.