9. Trip

Wangji's men left Weiying home, disappearing into the night. Meanwhile, Wangji sat alone in his study, unable to shake the thoughts of Weiying from his mind. Normally composed and reserved, Wangji found himself unusually unsettled. His heart was pounding, and he couldn't understand why.

"What is it about him?" Wangji murmured to himself, recalling the day's events. The way Weiying had looked at him, the fearless way he had spoken-it was unlike anything Wangji had ever experienced. People typically approached him with a mixture of awe and fear, but not Weiying.

Weiying had complimented him, something no one else had ever dared to do. The words echoed in Wangji's mind, a strange warmth spreading through him as he remembered. It was more than just the compliment; it was the genuine admiration in Weiying's eyes that had stirred something deep within him.

"He's different," Wangji thought, leaning back in his chair. He felt a pull towards Weiying, an inexplicable attraction that he couldn't deny. It was as if Weiying had ignited a spark inside him, challenging the barriers he had carefully constructed around his heart.

As he pondered this unfamiliar sensation, Wangji's thoughts grew more conflicted. He was a man of duty and discipline, yet here he was, distracted and captivated by someone he had just met. He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts, but Weiying's face, his voice, and his boldness lingered.

"What am I supposed to do with these feelings?" Wangji wondered. For the first time in a long while, he felt vulnerable, yet strangely exhilarated. This wasn't just a fleeting curiosity; it was something deeper, something that made him question everything he thought he knew about himself.

With a sigh, Wangji stood and walked to the window, staring out into the darkness. He knew that this was just the beginning of something significant, something that could change his life in ways he couldn't yet comprehend. And despite the uncertainty, Wangji found himself looking forward to discovering what that something was.

---

Meanwhile, Weiying arrived home with the guards. As he stepped inside, he saw a heart-wrenching scene. His mother, brother, and Su She's family were gathered in the living room, their faces etched with worry. His mother and brother were crying, and Su She was trying to console them.

"Weiying!" his mother cried, her voice breaking as she ran to him. She wrapped her arms around him tightly, as if afraid he would vanish again. "Where have you been? We were so worried!"

Weiying hugged her back, feeling a wave of guilt wash over him. "I'm sorry, Mother. I went deep into the forest, and someone rescued me. He brought me back home."

His brother, eyes wide with concern, stepped forward. "Who was it? What happened in the forest?"

Weiying hesitated, not wanting to mention Wangji or the danger he had faced. "It was just a kind stranger. I got lost, and he helped me find my way back. There's nothing to worry about now."

His mother pulled back slightly, her tear-streaked face searching his for any signs of harm. "Are you sure you're okay? Did anything happen to you?"

Weiying forced a reassuring smile. "I'm fine, really. Just a bit tired. Let's not dwell on it."

They were all relieved that Weiying had returned safely. The atmosphere in the house shifted from tension to relief, and they gathered for dinner. The meal was simple, but the warmth of family filled the room. Laughter and chatter replaced the earlier cries of distress.

After dinner, they all went to bed, exhausted but content. Su She's family bid them goodnight and returned to their own home. Weiying's mother hugged him once more before he went to his room.