Chapter 32: Lies and Schemes

A/N: This chapter is going to be a little different then all those before it, as right now, we are venturing beyond Sancha's POV. The reason why will become clear shortly. I don't see this being a regular occurrence in the story, but I felt it was necessary here. Also, I did tweak some of the dialogue slightly. Try not to let it bother you if you notice it. Hope you enjoy. 

On an island in the Gulf of Amaya, two ships had made port in the night, a few days apart from each other. They didn't seem much different from the numerous other vessels already docked at the port, but they were, if only thanks to the people they'd ferried to this place. Few beyond this island knew the true identities of those on board either vessel, and for good reason. They weren't keen to be discovered, especially by certain folk who favored a certain color of cloak.

The denizens of the second boat had made themselves at home at a heavily guarded stronghold on the island, and they waited now for two particular passengers of the first boat. This pair headed through the iron gate in the dark of night, blood buzzing with anticipation.

One was a young man, slightly built and straight of back, his hair short and blond, his blue eyes alternating between the doors of the central structure and his companion. She was a little younger than he, and had the dark skin and braided hair of a Niloan. Just below her elbow a tattoo could be spotted of a spotted predatory cat.

"Don't be nervous," Shane assured the girl as they headed indoors. "You'll need to behave your best, but don't worry. I'll be with you the entire time."

"Who am I meeting?" Abeke asked, trying to hide the growing anxiety in her chest. She'd just barely escaped a fatal attack from a deranged dog and she had Shane to thank at least in part for her life. She had seen someone feed something to the dog. Whatever it was, Abeke didn't know, but it had rendered the beast a monster. She was still a tad shaken.

Before Shane could answer her question, they arrived at a set of guarded doors. With a bow to Shane, they opened the doors and the two young people entered the room behind. The people from the other ship were arrayed at the far end of the room, which was made entirely of stone. A throne took centerstage, and the man who sat upon it regarded the new arrivals with intensity. Abeke did not know this man, but Shane of course did, and had his entire life.

He was Gar, once merely a General and prince of Stetriol, now he sat his nation's throne as its king. A throne which, rightfully, should have gone to Shane. Abeke, of course, was ignorant of this knowledge too, and of many other things about the people around her who had taken her in after she'd summoned Uraza the Leopard.

At the foot of the throne, an enormous crocodile spanned nearly the entire width of the space. Abeke, who had never seen such a large specimen of this kind before, had to try not to shiver at the sight of it.

"He's a king," Abeke muttered to Shane, refering to Gar. She'd deduced this from the throne and the regalia the middle aged man wore.

"Yes," Shane muttered back. "Behave accordingly."

A wizened old woman sat on a stool on one side of the throne, drool dripping from her mouth in a small yet steady stream at a corner. On the other side, Abeke spotted a familiar face , and she felt a pang of joy.

"Zerif!"

The man in question nodded politely at the recognition. Abeke had not seen him since her departure on the boat that brought her here, and some of her nerves melted upon seeing him.

"I told you that we would meet again," Zerif said to her. "May I introduce General Gar, king of the Lost Lands. Sire, meet Abeke, the summoner of Uraza."

"No small feat," Gar remarked, neutral in face, yet still seemingly impressed by the Niloan girl.

"Is that your crocodile?" Abeke asked. Had she been more astute, she might have noticed the tenseness in the body of the boy at her side. The boy she'd come to see as her first real friend. But Abeke was too preoccupied with the beast in front of her and the man she was addressing.