💜Foolish Hearts - Prologue💜

Sometimes, all you need to do is to exist in order to be someone's savior.

"Kian, anak. Come here." His Mama Clea called him as soon as his Papa Albert left with Kassidy.

He immediately went in front of her and kneeled so he can look at her properly. It breaks his heart that his once radiant Mama Clea is now pale.

He's 16 years-old now and he'd known the woman ever since he was two. He's lucky to have a second set of parents in the person of Clea and Albert.

Being a middle child in his own family, he knows his own parents struggles to give him enough attention since he have other siblings but having Clea and Albert, he never felt neglected at all.

"Mama Clea? Do you want water?" He asked when he noticed that Clea was trying to swallow her own saliva but struggling to do so.

Clea nodded and he stands-up to get water for her. He also helped her to drink. Clea smiled at him after she takes her fill.

"You always save me son, do you know that?" The older woman told him and he smiled sadly at her.

"You've been saving me since we met, Kian. You filled the void in my heart. A heart that is longing for a child. Naalala mo ba, how you prayed with me so me and your Papa can have Kassidy?" Dagdag pa nito at lumuluhang tumango siya. He doesn't know what to say without choking in his own sobs.

"Sadly, cancer is not something you can save me from, no matter how much you wanted to." She added and caressed his face.

"Is there something I can do to help Mama?" He asked as he leaned to her touch. Tumango naman ito.

"I want you to hold on to this Kian." He told her as she handed her an open box. He immediately recognized it. It's her wedding ring.

"Kung ako ang masusunod, I would like for you to marry Kassidy someday Kian. Pero hindi ko gagawin sa inyong dalawa yun. I don't want to dictate your futures. You two are too important to me and I cannot manipulate your lives like that." Clea told him, and although she's smiling, Kian can feel her pain.

"Take care of my Buttercup for me, Kian? Be her savior too. If you cannot be her Westley, promise me that you will protect and love her. That's all I'm asking."

"I promise Mama. I will take care of our Princess Buttercup." He told the woman and held her hand that is not holding the ring.

He's still not accepting it.

"Thank you. Take this Kian, hold on to this until our Buttercup found love, and I will pray hard na sana ikaw yun." She said and smiled when he accepted the ring.

"Iingatan ko po ito Mama Clea. Pangako, at iingatan ko din si Kassidy." He sincerely promised and kissed his Mama Clea's hand. "I love you Ma."

"I love you too, anak." She answered with love and care despite her condition. "Call your Papa Albert, tell him I need him and take Kassidy away from here, I don't want her to see me dying." Bilin pa nito sa kanya and as much as he wanted to stay until she breathes her last, he have a promise to fulfill.

He needs to protect Kassidy.

"Hey, Buttercup! Come with me." He told Kassidy after composing himself.

The 12 year-old girls face is wet with tears but smiled at him nonetheless.

"Where are we going Wesley?" She asked, though not excited, she's not looking so down either and that gives Kian hope that he'll be able to make her happy in a sad day like this.

"Basta, tara na." Aya pa niya dito at naglakad na sila palabas ng mansion ng mga ito.

The Claveria's and the Muhlach's property are just next to each other, although it is separated by a vast land, both of the family decided to buy a farm lot and take advantage of the cold weather of Tagaytay and transform the previous empty land into farms.

The Muhlach family decided to plant different kinds of fruits and vegetables, while the Claveria's filled their lands with flowers and trees.

He led Kassidy to ride his Dad's old Ford Ranger. His Dad gifted that to him when he turned 15 as his first car. He told him that if he wanted a new car, he'll have to earn the money to buy one.

Also, he was only allowed to drive inside the farm and from farm to the University, and since they are living close to the school, he doesn't need to stay in the boarding school.

"Wow! I haven't been here before!" Kassidy exclaimed when she saw that they've been driving to a dense forest.

It's in the north border of the two farms. He had just discovered the place when he was still 14 years old.

He stopped the car and opened the door for Kassidy.

"We'll have to walk from here. Hindi na kasya yung sasakyan e." He explained at ngumiti naman ito.

"Is that water I hear?" Kassidy asked and he nodded.

Just about 20 steps down from where the car is, is a waterfall a small stream. The place looks enchanting with different kinds of wild flowers around it.

"This is my secret place, Kassidy and I'm sharing it with you. Now it's our secret. You're not allowed to tell anyone." He told her as he guided her to sit on a rock.

He removes his shoes and dips his feet on the water.

"Not even Kiara?" She asked, she's pertaining to her bestfriend who happened to be his younger sister as well.

"Especially not Kiara! Naku, makulit yun! At ikaw, you are not allowed to go here without me! The water is shallow sa gilid, but it gets deep sa gitna. At kapag sinabi mo kay Kiara, for sure tatakas kayong dalawa pa punta dito, baka mamaya malunod pa kayo." He said worriedly.

Hindi rin niya alam kung bakit dinala niya dito ang dalagita, marahil ay dahil gusto niya itong mapa ngiti.

Kassidy has the most beautiful smile. He reminds her so much of Mama Clea. In fact, they look so much alike.

"Look!" Tili nito habang may itinuturong bulaklak.

"Kassidy! Be careful!" He said when she stands-up and tried reaching for wild yellow flowers.

Kassidy picks-up as much flowers she can reach and then she suddenly stops.

He noticed her shoulders shaking and heard her faint sobs.

"Buttercup?" He asked in concern at nilapitan ito.

She looks up to him and showed him the flowers.

"These are buttercups, Wesley. Like how Mom called me. Did you know that Buttercup flowers also means joy? Sabi ni Mommy, I am her joy and she's mine too." The kid told him and all Wesley could do is to hug the young girl.

"Mommy's gone, isn't she? I can feel it." She asked again and he doesn't know how to reply to her.

He can feel it as well.

"Paano na ako Wesley?" The girl asked, her eyes wet with tears and so are his.

"Sshhh.. You won't be alone, princess. You still have Papa Albert."

"But Daddy is going to be sad and I need to be there for him— but who will be there for me?"

He lifted her chin and stared into her eyes.

"I'm here, I promise I'll be here for you. Always."

And for the second time that day, Kian made a promise. Twice he made just one promise, and that's to take care of Kassidy.

He wasn't sure if he did the right thing and how he will be able to fulfill it.

Foolish as it may be but he sealed that promise with a kiss on the young Kassidy's forehead.