35. FRAGMENTS OF STUBBORN HEARTS

I loved you once, I'll love you twice and in every other lifetime.
But trust?
That was never an option
~V

___________________________

Samaira
(Two years ago)

I entered Avya's apartment using the extra key I always had, switched on the lights.

Clutching the envelope tight, I put my scarf and bag aside, I sat down and finally looked at the envelope.

For a moment, I just stared at it. There was not a single word written on it, but it felt heavy. Shaking it a bit, I tried to guess what it was.

Was it from my Father? He was always against this-my art, my dreams.

And here I was, staying in this city, pursuing my dream against his wishes.

If it were up to him, he'd want me to be the perfect daughter, behave as he says, and soon marry me off to some rich patron in the name of business.

It's been almost a year since I came to this city, in pursuit of fulfilling my dreams. He thinks I'm studying business administration, but little did he know I ditched that program a long time ago.

It took a lot of courage, but I did it.

My father has always been a neglectful person, and this was the first time I was defying him.

But it wouldn't be long before he realized that I was fighting against him, against the odds.

Every day, I live in constant fear that he'll find out.

And that was why an unknown envelope scares me.

I was about to open the seal when the door to the apartment suddenly opened.

Making me jump, me and the other person who just walked in, aka my best friend, both let out a stomach-curdling scream at the same time.

"Fucking hell, Sam," Avya said as she closed the door, "you scared the living shit out of me."

My heart pounded as I tried to steady my breathing. "You scared me too," I said, clutching my chest.

"Sorry, but you just barged in, I thought it was an intruder," I said, the envelope still felt heavy in my other hand, an ominous presence I couldn't ignore.

She just shook her head as she put the keys in place and removed her jacket.

"How have you been? How was yesterday?" she asked, her voice echoing off the apartment walls from her bedroom.

"It was great," I started, and then told her everything that had happened as she got freshened up. When I mentioned the Jaipur art committee, she shook my hands excitedly.

"Glad you were happy, Sam. You deserve it." Avya continued as she came to sit near me across the sofa, all tired.

I kept silent; she hadn't noticed the envelope in my hand yet.

"Hey, Sam, what's wrong?" Her tone was soft as she looked at me.

"And what's that?" Avya asked, finally noticing the envelope and her eyes widened.

"I don't know," I admitted, my voice trembling
"Siya said some unknown person told her to give me."

"Unknown?" she asked, coming closer to sit beside me. Her presence was comforting, but the tension in the air remained thick.