- Seventeenth -

Jungkook was comfortably seated on the stool in his studio, brush in hand. In front of him was a canvas on which he could already make out a sketch of a garden, with a few flowers that had just been painted. The boy glanced quickly at the window of the room, which he had opened to get a better view, and with a light movement, continued his paint, letting the brush glide over the rough canvas, the red paint giving shape to a new poppy.

Jungkook loved painting. As someone who had huge problems managing his emotions (especially his anger), painting was a way of letting it all out, of letting his emotions escape from him, to crash against the blank canvas. After painting, he felt light and serene. During a painting, he forgot all the frustration and rage that had haunted him since he was a child. It was Taehyung who had introduced him to painting, saying that Jungkook needed an activity to relieve his stress. Jin suggested a sport, but Taehyung suggested art. Jungkook, listening only to his hyungie, tried drawing and painting, and hasn't stopped since. Because as well as helping him to control his emotions, it was another link with Taehyung. It was also why the teenager cherished his passion so much.

Immersed in his painting, he didn't hear the door to the room open at all, nor the sound of footsteps approaching him discreetly. It was only when he felt two arms wrap around his waist that he realised he was no longer alone. The boy couldn't hide his surprise, jumping at the touch, before relaxing when Taehyung's masculine scent reached his nostrils.

"Hyungie, you scared me..."

The teenager heard his laugh, a deep laugh that made him shiver.

"I'm sorry my baby, but you were so cute that I didn't want to distract you..."

Jungkook simply pouted in reply, picking up his brush and continuing his painting. And Taehyung let him do, just hugging him tightly, sitting behind him on a stool he'd left there for exactly this kind of purpose. He placed a brief kiss on the back of the teenager's neck, making him shiver, then watched him paint silently.

He loved watching Jungkook paint. It relaxed him. It was always an intimate moment, just the two of them, in complete silence, hearing only Jungkook's steady breathing and his brushstrokes on the canvas. It was relaxing, because that was exactly the kind of daily life he wanted to achieve. To be able to work at home as often as possible, and when he was tired and on the verge of cracking under the pressure of work, he'd run back to Jungkook, burying his face in the crook of his neck while the boy painted with a light heart.

They stayed like that for a long time, exchanging little kisses from time to time (some more heated than others). Taehyung alternated between watching Jungkook, his painting and the garden beyond the window. They were interrupted, however, by Taehyung's phone suddenly ringing. The man grumbled, displeased that someone had disturbed his moment of intimacy with his fiancé, but when he saw the name displayed on the phone screen, he let out a long sigh and left the room to answer the phone. He didn't return until a few minutes later, under Jungkook's curious gaze.

"Was it work?" the boy asked innocently as he put his brush back on the easel.

The man shook his head.

"No. It was your mother."

Jungkook froze at his answer, his eyes slightly wide.

"My mom? What did she want? For me to come home?"

"Yes, kind of. In fact, she invited me and my brother for lunch. And as she suspects you're with me, she wants you to come home for this 'family meal'."

Taehyung couldn't hold back a small laugh. Hyeri had got into the habit of saying that Taehyung was part of their family, just because he was the brother of Namjoon, her son's husband. Little did she know that he was in fact more of her family than she thought, mainly because he was soon to marry her youngest son.

"And I suppose you accepted?" Jungkook continued.

"I couldn't say no to her... Even if I don't really like her, she's your mother, and our two fathers' companies have a close bond. Our two families are very close, and I have to maintain that bond."

"Hm..."

Taehyung approached the teenager, who had started to sulk. He knelt down in front of him and took his chin between his fingers, aligning their gazes.

"Darling, this time I'll be with you. And you know very well that I would never let anyone disrespect you. You're safe with me."

Jungkook nodded slowly, even though he could see the uncertainty in his eyes. However, he knew he couldn't spend all his time running away. Hyeri probably didn't even realise the harm she was doing to her son, his father was too busy to care, and Jongsu was revelling in his pain. So the last thing he needed to do was show it. If he continued to hide behind Taehyung, shutting himself away in this house that had become his haven, his cocoon, he would only be showing them his weaknesses.

***

If Hyeri was still angry with Jungkook, she hid it very well. When he arrived, accompanied by Taehyung, she welcomed them like a perfect host. They moved into the dining room, where they found Jin and Namjoon, who had arrived just before them.

"Isn't Jongsu here?" Jin asked, puzzled (because the boy was always there when the Kim brothers were invited, strangely enough).

"He's in his room," replied Hyeri, putting down a plate of food. "He's quite tired lately, so I'm forcing him to rest."

"Oh, right..."

Jungkook held back a sigh of relief. The less he saw his twin, the better he felt. Especially after what had happened a few days earlier, he'd rather not see him at all. He could already see his smug smile. How awful.

"I'll be right back, I've got to go to the toilet." Taehyung said as he stood up, discreetly stroking his fiancé's back.

The man had no trouble finding his way around, knowing this house like the back of his hand. After all, he had spent a good part of his childhood there, as two of the most important people in his life had lived there. However, no sooner had he placed his hand on the toilet handle than a voice came from behind his back, a voice he'd rather not have heard.

"Oh, you've come, Taehyungie hyung? Honestly, I didn't think I'd see you..." Jongsu chirped happily behind his back.

Taehyung rolled his eyes and turned round.

"And I didn't expect to. Apparently, nothing's going according to plan..."

Jongsu pouted, coming dangerously close to the man.

"You're always so mean, Taehyungie hyung..."

"Don't call me that."

"Why not? You're my hyung, aren't you? Or is only Jungkook entitled to that privilege? What would my parents say if they found out you two were having this kind of relationship? That you were using their beloved son to satisfy your perverse urges?

If he thought he was getting through to Taehyung with his words, he was quickly disabused when he saw a smirk forming on his lips.

"If I'm a pervert, then you're as pathetic as ever, Jongsu..." he sighed. "You who always want to have everything, you'll end up with nothing. You haven't changed a bit since I first laid eyes on you."

He leaned over, looking into Jongsu's eyes, which were both annoyed and surprised.

"You make everyone believe that you're the strongest, and that you can manipulate your parents and the others as you please, but I know the truth. The truth is that you're hateful, and you know it. That's why you struggle so much. Because unlike your brother, no one will ever love the real Jongsu. And that's really miserable.

Taehyung then pushed him aside and slipped away, while a certain boy felt his heart break in his chest.

~🍁~

Sorry, this chapter is a little rushed, but I really wanted to update something... I hope it wasn't too bad...

Don't hesitate to vote and comment your thoughts!🥰

See you soon💕