Chapter 5: him

JUNGWON

I could feel his intense stare burning through me as he sat directly across the table. After a quick glance earlier, I immediately recognized his face. This was the man I had punched earlier, but I couldn't care less. Since Heeseung introduced him, he hadn't said a word. His eyes stayed fixed on me the entire time, like a predator sizing up its prey.

"Jay, you okay? You seem to be dozing off," Heeseung asked, his voice cutting through the thick tension. He and Jake had clearly noticed Jay's death glares. Damn, I don't have time for this.

"Yes, I'm good" he replied, his eyes still locked on mine, unblinking and intense.

Sunoo nudged me under the table, a smirk playing on his lips. "He's into you, Won" he whispered, just loud enough for me to hear.

"What nonsense are you talking about?" I mumbled under my breath, not wanting to entertain the thought.

"Look, Jay is staring at you. He likes you," he insisted. I glanced at Jay, meeting his gaze head on.

"What?" I said sternly. He scoffed, a sound that echoed like a taunt.

"You look familiar. You look like the one who punched me in the stomach earlier" he said with a mix of sarcasm and accusation, his eyes narrowing.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Maybe it was me" I replied in the same icy tone.

"Do you want another one?" I challenged, my voice low.

"Well, bring it on," he said, slamming his hand on the table. The impact sent a shiver through the air, making the dishes clink and the silverware rattle. The tension was visible, like a live wire crackling between us.

The room fell silent, the faint hum of conversation and the clinking of cutlery fading into the background. The smell of rich food wafted through the air, mingling with the sharp scent of Jay's fragrance.

I could hear my heart pounding in my ears, adrenaline coursing through my veins. His eyes were dark, filled with a mixture of anger and something else I couldn't quite place.

His jaw tightened, the muscles working under his skin as if holding back a flood of words.

For a moment, everything seemed to slow down. The air was thick with unspoken challenges, the promise of confrontation hanging heavy.

I felt the weight of every eye in the room on us, the silence growing thicker with each passing second.

"Anytime you're ready," I said, my voice steady despite the chaos inside me.

His expression hardened, but before he could respond, Heeseung stepped in, his voice calm but firm. "Guys, cut it out. We're here to have a good time, not to start a fight."

I took a deep breath, forcing myself to relax. The tension in my muscles slowly eased as I leaned back, finally breaking eye contact with Him.

"Fine by me" I said, looking around the room. Sunoo and Jake watched us with wide eyes, clearly entertained by the unfolding drama.

Jay muttered something under his breath, leaning back as well, the immediate threat of conflict vanish but not entirely gone.

"I think it's better for us to go now, hyung," Jake said, his voice slicing through the lingering tension like a knife.

"But it's still eight pm," Heeseung whined, his expression a mix of disappointment and reluctance.

"I'll call you later," Jake insisted, hugging Heeseung tightly before standing up. I saw Sunoo rise from his seat as well, a subtle signal that it was time to leave. "Bye guys" Jake said to Heeseung and Jay, offering a small wave.