Chapter 16: moment

JUNGWON

The morning light filtered through my bedroom window as I got ready for school. I slung my backpack over my shoulder, mentally preparing for another day of dealing the never-ending fair preparations.

"Jungwon, wait a second!" Just as I reached the front door, I heard my mom call out from the kitchen.

I stopped, sighing inwardly. I turned around to see her coming toward me, holding a neatly packed lunchbox.

"I made you lunch," she said, offering it to me with a hopeful smile.

I stared at the lunchbox for a moment, feeling a mix of emotions. Part of me appreciated the gesture, but another part was still too hurt and angry about everything that had happened. I couldn't bring myself to accept it.

"Thanks, but I'm good," I said, my tone colder than I intended.

Her smile faltered, replaced by a look of disappointment. "Are you sure? It's your favorite."

"I'm sure," I replied, not meeting her eyes. "I can get something at school."

She nodded slowly, lowering the lunchbox. "Alright. Have a good day at school, Jungwon."

"Yeah, you too" I muttered, turning away and heading out the door.

As I walked to the driveway, I couldn't shake the image of her face from my mind. It was hard to balance the hatred and hurt I felt with the small moments from her but I'm trying my best for our family's sake. But for now, focusing on school and the fair was the best I could do.

The stress from the petty fight with Jay still lingered in the back of my mind, damn that angry bird, but I tried to push it aside as I focused on finding a place to park. Driving through the crowded university parking lot, I felt a wave of frustration as I circled around for what seemed like the hundredth time.

Every spot was taken, and the clock was ticking down to the start of my class. Just as I was about to give up and park further away, I spotted an empty space near the entrance. Relief washed over me as I turned on my blinker and prepared to park.

But before I could maneuver into the spot, a loud roar of an engine filled the air.

A big black motorcycle zipped past me, sliding effortlessly into the space I had been eyeing. My heart pounded in my chest, a mix of disbelief and anger rising up.

I laid on my horn, the sound echoing through the lot. The rider, clad in black leather with a helmet hiding his face, tilted his head slightly in response to my honk. He knew I was there.

I rolled down my window, the words spilling out before I could stop them. "Hey! I was here first!"

The rider didn't move at first, then slowly reached up to remove his helmet. He shook his head, ruffling his hair as he did so, revealing a face that left me momentarily stunned. His features were sharp, strikingly handsome, with an air of nonchalance that made my anger falter for a split second.

Then recognition hit me like a big train. Jay. Of all people, it had to be him.

His expression shifted from surprise to a smirk as he realized who had honked at him.

"Well, well, look who it is, whiny little lamb" he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Fancy meeting you here."

I felt a surge of irritation. "That was my spot, Angry bird. You saw me signaling."

He shrugged, clearly unbothered by my anger. "First come, first served, right?"

My hands tightened around the steering wheel, knuckles white with suppressed rage. This was exactly the kind of thing that made me despise him. "You can't just—"

"Looks like I already did," he interrupted, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "Plenty of other spots if you keep looking. Or are you just mad you didn't get to show off your parking skills?"

The nerve of this guy. I wanted to argue, to let out all the frustration that had been building up, but I knew it would be pointless. With Jay, it always was.

"Whatever," I muttered and gave him a middle finger, rolling up my window and driving off in search of another spot. I could feel his gaze on me, that infuriating smirk still etched in my mind.

As I finally found a space and parked, I couldn't shake the encounter. Seeing Jay again had stirred up more than just anger, it brought back memories of our last confrontation and the unresolved tension that hung between us.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself before heading to class. It seemed no matter how hard I tried to avoid conflict, it always found a way to catch up with me.

Sitting in the quiet space of the school library, I put my earbuds in and let the music drown out my racing thoughts. The soothing melodies helped me find a momentary escape from the chaos of my life. I chose a secluded corner by the window, the sunlight casting a warm glow over the pages of the open book in front of me.

I wasn't really reading, though. My mind kept drifting back to the tension at home, the stress of the school fair, and the constant friction with Angry bird. I took a deep breath, trying to focus on something positive.

Remembering Sunoo's cheerful encouragement from the other day, I couldn't help but smile a little. He always knew how to lighten the mood, even when things felt overwhelming. And then there was Sunghoon, whose quiet support and concern made me feel less alone in all of this.

My thoughts wandered to the upcoming beach trip Sunoo and Jake had been planning. Despite my initial hesitation, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. A break from everything, a chance to relax and enjoy some time with friends, could be just what I needed.

For now, though, I allowed myself to get lost in the music, letting it carry away my worries. The library was a sanctuary, a place where I could find a bit of peace.

Suddenly, a harsh yank on my earphones startled me, causing me to flinch in my seat. I looked up, glaring, to see Jay standing there with a smug expression.

"What the hell, Jay?" I snapped, my irritation bubbling over.

He ignored my anger and calmly sat down in front of me, folding his arms and just staring. It made my skin crawl, and I felt my annoyance growing by the second. Determined not to give him the satisfaction, I put my earphones back in and tried to focus on my work.

But his persistent gaze was too much to ignore. I finally yanked the earphones out again, glaring at him. "Jay, what's your problem?"

"Nothing," he replied with a sly grin. "I like staring at you."

His words made my blood boil. "You're unbelievable" I muttered, trying to keep my voice low to avoid attracting the librarian.

Jay's grin widened, clearly enjoying my discomfort. "Is that a compliment?"

"Get lost," I hissed, my hands clenching into fists under the table.

He leaned forward, his tone mocking. "Make me."

That was it. The pent up frustration from all his unfair treatment and the stress of everything else snapped inside me. "You're such a—"

Before I could finish, the librarian's sharp voice cut through the air. "Quiet down, boys! This is a library!"

Jay smirked, clearly pleased with himself, and leaned back in his chair. "See you around, whiny little lamb."

As he sauntered off, I was left mad, my study session thoroughly ruined. His satisfaction at getting under my skin was infuriating, and I knew I'd have to find a way to deal with him before the fair preparations drove me completely mad.