𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

We were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowing what it was

Author's POV
(11 years ago)

"Alia, leave it, this is my chocolate. You have already eaten yours." A little seven year old Naina whines when her cousin tries to snatch away her favourite chocolate.

"Naina didi, liar liar pants on fire. Me complains mumma. You leave chocolate." Alia, her six year old cousin speaks in her gibberish language.

Both the little girls are fighting over a chocolate which has completely melted in the packet by now. Naina says it belonged to her while Alia also stands by her decision. Alia tries to snatch away the chocolate from Naina's hand but ends up hurting her hand in the process.

Naina looks at her hand and pouts at her before pulling her hair. Both of them start shouting, scratching and pulling each other's hair.

People passing from there see the two girls and laugh at their cute fight. They are in the middle of a park, their family sitting at some distance. The chocolate for which they are fighting was on the ground, melted and forgotten by the two girls.

A guy of around ten years comes near the two and picks up the chocolate from the ground. He looks at the girls who are pulling each other's cheek and hair and frowns. He ignores them and sits down, tearing the packet and licking the melted chocolate from it.

When he eats more than half of the chocolate, the girls finally stop and look around for it. Their gaze lands on the boy, who is eating their chocolate and they shout at the top of their voice.

"You monkey monkey, what you do chocolate with ours." Alia huffs and asks him.

(What are you doing with our chocolate?)

"Exactly. That is our chocolate. How dare you eat it?" Naina also joins Alia and asks the guy. She keeps her hands at her waist and stares at the boy.

"You were fighting and the chocolate was free, so I ate it. Now, stop shouting. It hurts my ears." He speaks, clearly ignoring the two and enjoying his chocolate.

Naina gets furious by his reply and walks towards him angrily. She stands in front of him and looks down at him. He looks up to meet her eyes and that's when she punches him in his face. Naina then snatches away the remaining chocolate from his hands and gives it to Alia.

"Here, you can eat this." She offers it to little Alia who gladly accepts it with a smile and kisses Naina's cheeks before running away from there to her family.

The guy stands up and comes towards Naina. He taps on her shoulders and she turns around to look at him. He glares angrily at her and raises his brow at the little girl who cutely bats her doe like eyes at him, as if she did not just punch him in the face. That is all it takes for his anger to calm down almost immediately.

"Hello, I am Naina." Naina forwards her hand for a shake which he gladly takes.

"Reid." He replies, shaking her hands.

"Ohh." Naina stretches the 'O' which gets a chuckle out of Reid.

"You are adorable, Emel." Reid looks at her adoringly and pinches her cheeks.

"Emel?" She tilts her head and asks in confusion.

"Hmm.. it's a pretty name, for a pretty girl like you." He compliments her with adoration.

Naina blushes at his comment and looks down. Her cheeks further turn scarlet and she shifts on her feets. Her attention is then grabbed by the hand which is still holding hers in captive. She looks up, in Reid's eyes, who is observing her cute movements.

"My hand." She speaks slowly.

"Huh?"

"You are still holding my hand."

"Oh." He realises and leaves her hand after a second, leaving the warmth of their hold.

They look at each other and do not say anything. The sun is setting behind them witnessing the meet of two innocent souls. Reid does not want to say anything but just gaze at her forever while Naina does not know what to say.

She starts observing his features slowly. His green eyes, pink lips, cute face and messy mushroom cut hair. She moves her hand towards his hair and tried to smoothen some strands of it slowly. Her hands in his hair feel very familiar to Reid, as if they always belonged there.

"You are pretty." Naina compliments him.

"I am handsome. You are pretty." He corrects her and passes his hands through her hair.

"Tsk tsk. You are handsome and pretty. Your eyes, they are green, just like an emerald, so pretty. And that makes you pretty." He simply smiles at her compliment and holds her hand while making her sit down with him.

Naina gazes at the setting sun and gets lost in its beauty within fractions of a second. Reid's eyes moves to her face and then he follows her gaze. He looks at the setting sun but can't understand what is so good about it which takes away all of Naina's attention and makes her forget him. His eyes travel back to her face and he quietly takes in every feature of it.

"Why are you looking at the sun like that?" He can't help himself from asking. His voice catches Naina's attention and she turns towards him.

"Because it is pretty." She shrugs.

"No. You said I am pretty. So, only I am pretty, not the sunset." Reid huffs out and speaks with a pout.

"Awww. Don't be sad. Okay, only you are pretty, not the sunset." She giggles again and pokes his pout slowly.

"Good. Now look at me, not that sunset."

"Hehe, okay."

They keep looking at each other for some time, lost in each other's eyes, observing each other's features, not knowing what is happening to them and why they are feeling this. Their innocent hearts just want to spend time together, not wanting to care about the world. Even though they met for the first time, it felt as if they knew each other for years.

"Naina, beta let's go." Naina's aunt shouts from a distance which catches Naina's attention and breaks the two's eye contact.

"Yes aunt, coming." She shouts back.

"I will have to go now. Will you come back to play with me tomorrow?" She asks him with excitement in her eyes.

"Yes."

"Promise?" Naina forwards her pinky finger to him.

"I promise." He promises her while chuckling at her cute antics.

"See you soon, Emel. Wait for me, till I come back." He speaks, looking in her eyes with surety to come back.

"I will." She giggles and run from there.

Naina stops abruptly and looks around, only to find her aunt talking to some lady, probably her friend. She runs back to Reid and kisses his lips quickly before running back to her aunt, leaving a shocked Reid back.

Both of them leave the park with their families with the memories of each other. Naina kept talking about Reid to her father, aunt and uncle for days after that incident while Reid does not wash his hands or take bath for three days because Naina touched his hand and face.

He keeps licking his lips again and again, everyday after that incident. Both the children didn't know what destiny held for them but the one promise made them hope to see each other in the future.

━━━━━━━━

I love this childhood thingy where they know each other since they were kids but then fall apart only to meet again.

How do you think are they gonna meet again. *evil laugh*