36. ECHOES OF THE CALM

Collapse into me.
Just once.
I promise you'll never have to fall again.

___________________________

Riddhiya

I sighed in relief as I got out of the tense atmosphere in the hall.

As tradition reigns, the Rajputs, being close friends with the Singhanias, were always invited for the weekly dinner.

And as always, it was filled with laughs and talks. But today was different because it wasn't just the Rajputs and Singhanias here.

The Rawals and Aggarwals were present too.

I narrowly escaped that tense atmosphere.

Dadi was entertaining the guests, talking to them, but even I could see past those fake smiles. I walked towards the gardens, the only place that felt peaceful.

On my way there, I heard voices.

"On whose order, did you made Miss Mythila the afternoon meal, Samaira?" a woman's voice asked, following another woman.

"No one! She clearly didn't like the food the chefs made, Avya. I just made it myself, and she liked it. Big deal," another voice exclaimed. Samaira Aggarwal, now Singhania

I recognized her as she turned to talk to the other woman.

From the car ride last week, I saw her with Vrit Bhai, the second daughter-in-law of this house. My first impression of her was that she looked beautiful and kind, but I wondered what the relationship between her and Vrit Bhai was.

I wanted to talk to Bhai about the sudden marriage—he was like my big brother. But lately, everyone was so busy and still processing the shock.

About Mythila Singhania, my actual mother-in-law. I hadn't met her yet, but from the looks of the outside arrangements, it would be soon.

"You are being too interfering with my patient lately, being the ideal daughter-in-law, are we?" the other woman said, snapping me back to look at them.

I looked at the woman again.

Avya, Samaira Bhabhi had said.

Suddenly, it clicked.

The eldest daughter-in-law of this house. Damn.

She looked stunning even in simple clothes. But it was the way she stood, with unbridled confidence that was striking.

Her eyes that were currently glaring at Samaira Bhabhi, made me pause.

I knew under what circumstances she was here, but something in those eyes, was too hurt.

"Patient, really, Avya?" Samaira Di scoffed.

You are eavesdropping, my inner voice said, but isn't it just a step below stalking? I was already excelling in the latter, so why fear now?

"And you are talking about being the ideal daughter-in-law? You? If it were any normal circumstances, you would be the one striving for the excellence certificate," Samaira Bhabhi continued.