Chapter 16 - A close encounter with death

"I can't believe you created Spike Furious! You know statues are very loyal, she will be a great companion." Mr Today announced. The two had begun walking on the landscape. 

"She is....." He hesitated, "Also, Aaron has changed. He regrets his decision. I know it must be hard to believe, even I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it for myself but-"

"Oh Alex....I never held a grudge against him. It was a spontaneous decision, he panicked. He was very confused at the time. He was taught all the wrong things, if anyone I could only blame Justine for that. I do know for a fact that he has good in him. So, it isn't surprising when I hear he has righted his ways. When you see him again, tell him I forgive him. Ever time he visits my grave I can hear him apologizing and beating himself up, and I always tell him that I forgive him, yet he can't get himself to believe it. Stubborn boy he is, not unlike his brother." Alex blushed, and promised to convey it to Aaron. "Do you have to go or can we talk a little longer?" 

"Maybe just a little longer.." Alex replied. 

"I was hoping you'd say that! I recognize this place actually, we are getting close to the land of the dead. It's beautiful. Do you feel alright? Physically I mean..."

"Never better!"

"Alright then, what exactly is bothering you, emotionally now?"

"I don't know...things have been difficult. Artime is fine, more than fine, flourishing actually. But something is off."

"I understand, you can sense something big is coming can't you."

"Yes, I can't put my finger on it though, but it's so peaceful, like the eerie calm before a storm."

"Hmmm, I see...What worries you?"

"Well, some people are not accepting Aaron for one. Others seem to be against Thisbe and Fifer. That, gets on my nerve. I can feel my blood boiling when anyone insults my family, well minus my parents...."

"Did you reconnect with them?"

"I tried to, once when visiting you're grave I saw my father. I saw a flicker of recognition in his eyes, he frowned and ran away. He was obviously ashamed to see me. I am a disgrace to them. When the wall fell, the same mother who ruthlessly sent me to my death, sacrificed her life heroically to save the girls. Am I just not worth it? Oh and speaking of the girls. Thisbe can shoot sparks of fire out of her eyes. She almost hurt an Artimean that way. Fifer's scream causes all the glass within range to shatter. I mean I can't say I didn't expect it. I mean Fifer disintegrated Queen Eagala's birds, and Thisbe killed the pirate captain with one word: boom. All when they were two! I don't want them to get hurt, nor anybody else. I want to be there for them, but for everyone else as well. An eel was sighted, we think it got sucked into the Island of Fire but Spike says the eel is still around. Vido keeps spewing out dark, deadly prophecies and....I just don't know what to do........Phew...That felt good. I needed to get that out. Sky just visited last week, but we were too busy to really have a heart to heart with the twin's birthday. She usually keeps me sane, but she is researching the Island of Fire now...Why it sinks, and all that."

Mr Today just listened. He saw himself so much in Alex. More than he could have ever imagined. He had a younger sister. Emma, but even though he regretted it now, he was very mean to her. She had wanted to come with Justine and him when they left, she begged them to let her come with them. But they had asked her if she was ready to swim, knowing that she hated the water. He couldn't fix that mistake now. But, he was glad that Alex did not behave the same way to his sisters, nor did Aaron. He had a hunch that Emma had grown bitter and turned into a well hated personality by the name Queen Eagala, but it didn't matter now. She was dead, and although he felt sorrow, he felt worse for Alex. He knew what a big responsibility being head mage was, having to take control of all of that, with virtually no training, not knowing what to expect, he had it worse than Mr Today had for himself. It was easier creating a world, compared to learning all there is about the world. Alex was stronger than he realized, he would do great things. If only he had better parents. 
"Alex, nobody in Quill had great parents. Everyone got through didn't they. You will too. Your parents didn't have a choice. They had to abide by my sister's rules."

"What about Lani and Henry, Mr and Mrs Haluki-"

"Are an exception. But yes, they both are very lucky to have Gunnar and Mrs Haluki. But there are no others. Not one"

"Yes there is"

"Who? Nobody else in Quill had good parents. Not one person. I guarantee it."

Alex smiled kindly "Claire Morning" Mr Today felt like the breath was knocked out of his chest. He felt very sensitive in that area. But Alex had just given him the best compliment anyone had ever given him. Alex always knew exactly what to say to cheer someone up. Mr Today chuckled.

 "This is exactly why you are the best Head Mage Artime has ever had. If your parents thought you were worthless, boy did they miss out" Mr Today said. Alex felt queasy. His vision blurring. He could tell their time was almost up together. "Unfortunately, I think you have to go now."

"Will I see you again?" Alex asked

"One day, definitely. Before that, maybe. Perhaps next year. Same time same day. The day of remembrance." Mr Today answered. He looked at Alex fondly. "My boy, I selfishly hope you die very soon, but all that aside, for Artime's sake I hope I don't see you in the land of the dead for a long, long time. It would make too many eyes water." 

Alex hugged him not letting go. Mr Today held on to him, knowing all too well that they would be separated nonetheless. 

"Tell Claire I love her,"  Mr Today said before Alex was sucked into Artime again. He regained consciousness to see too many familiar faces crowding over him. 

"He's awake! His vitals are back to normal. Alex can you hear me? How do you feel?" Henry asked looking at him on the hospital bed.

"I feel great, what happened? Why am I here. I was in my room...I think. With Simber." Alex murmured trying to read everyone's expressions.

Simber stood outside since the Hospital ward was too small. Alex extended its size and Simber ran in. "Arrre you alrrrright!?"

"Yes, someone tell me what's happening? Did I doze off?"

"Doze off! No! We werrre in the secrrret hallway. Talking, and suddenly you fell to the grround! I nudged you, I licked you, I even trrrried rroarrrring at you to wake you up. You didn't move!"

"He brought you down and I took over from there. Your pulse was so feeble! Vitals were low, you weren't breathing. We tried to revive you, but you only got worse.  Finally, when you were only a heartbeat away from death we tried shocking your heart and you finally woke up." Henry said. "Alex I'm not kidding, another minute and you wouldn't be alive right now....Artime would have disappeared.....again"