Nothing to Remember

“Katniss Everdeen!”

The fifteen year old whirled around, brown hair whipping against her neck and gray eyes widening, as she pulls the arrow backwards, barley touching the raw string on the bow.

Her fingers tremble holding the bow and arrow tightly, who was that?

Today was the Reaping, and District 12 was teeming with Peacekeepers, the Club’s ‘law enforcers’ who beat or whip those who disobey.

She was in the forbidden forest, if she was found the consequences would be dire.

Katniss held her breath, she heard footsteps.

Sweat began trailing down the sides of her face and her fingers became shaky.

She saw someone behind the oak tree, and with her best menacing voice, Katniss said “Who’s there?"

She heard a chuckle.

“Tell me or I’ll shoot!”

“Even your own brother?”

“Charles!”

The seventeen-year old came out of hiding, laughing uncontrollably at his little sister.

The sun danced on Charles’s chocolate-colored shaggy hair and his deep blue round eyes shined, with the way he looked you wouldn’t think twice he lived in stricken poverty raising his siblings since he was thirteen.

Katniss didn’t lower her bow, she felt like shooting the arrow in her brother’s foot.

“Damn you, Charles! You scared me!” Charles calmed down a little.

“You’re the one in the forbidden forest, Kat. You’re lucky I found you before the Peacekeepers did.”  Katniss frowned, he was right.

“Whatever.” Charles took the weapons from his sister’s hand and hugged her lightly, “C’mon, I have to get myself and Gale ready for the Reaping.”

Gale Everdeen was sixteen-years old, therefore the middle child.

Gale resembled Katniss more than Charles did, though he and his brother had one thing in common: they were both mutants.

Gale could talk to animals and Charles was a telepath, being able to read or control minds.

Everyday on the Reaping, Charles and Gale would hold hands hoping both their names won’t be chosen for the Games. I

t’s been like that since they were little. Charles could still remember the look of fear in Gale’s eyes whenever the boys’ names were called.

It was heartbreaking.

Katniss and Charles trotted up the hill to the fence, engaging in a conversation.

"You think Gale is still asleep?”

“You know Gale, Kat. He’s probably in his own cocoon of blankets.”

“Ha!"

Charles liked how Katniss always cheered him up, even when she didn’t know he was bothered.

“Hey, why were you in the forest anyway?”

“Oh, I was hoping to…”

“Halt!”

Charles and Katniss froze in the middle of their steps.

A Peacekeeper!

“What are you two children doing here?”

Charles and Katniss stood silent, their throats were dry.

“Answer the question! Or you both would have to be taught a lesson,” said the Peacekeeper as he took out a whip that had bits of dried blood.  

Charles stood forward, raising his fingers to his temple.

“Why won’t you-!”

Leave the forest. Return to your business before. Forget our faces.

Telepathically, Charles ordered the Peacekeeper away.

Slowly, the Peacekeeper turned away and walked up the hill. “C’mon, we have to get home, now!” Charles ordered.

The Everdeen clan raced up to the hill, slid under the electric fence and returned home.

Soon the Peacekeeper found himself in the forest, not having the slightest clue why he was here.