You Didn't Know?

“Scott!"

Scott Summers turned around with a grin, Charles was finally here.

“Charles, it’s about time,” said Scott as he embraced Charles like a brother.

“Sorry about that, Katniss almost got in trouble again.” Scott chuckled, “That’s Katniss.”

Charles chuckled back and sat down next to Scott, “So what was it you wanted Scott?”

Scott fixed his red shades and said, “What? Can’t mutant buddies chat before the Reaping?” 

Like Charles, Gale, and many others, Scott was a mutant, a powerful mutant actually.

Scott’s mutation allows him to shoot lasers out of his eyes but he couldn’t control it so he has to wear sunglasses to contain it.

Everything he sees is red. 

“C’mon Scott, I don’t want to talk about our powers, again.”

Scott and Charles argued about their powers on the Reaping every time, always saying which one is more helpful or vulnerable.

“Not today, Charles. I promise,” assured Scott.

Charles nodded; he didn’t like to talk about his powers in the X-Games.

Not many telepaths make it through Cornucopia.

“Well what you have in mind?”

Scott said, “Gale.”

Charles raised an eyebrow, “Gale?”

Scott looked surprised, “Don’t you know?”

“Know what?”

“Gale did not tell you?”

“Scott what are you talking about?”

“Gale signed up for the tesserae, again.

Charles was horrified.

What does he mean again? Gale already had his name, why would he want more? Still, he does have a chance, Charles thought.

Scott looked surprised, “He didn’t tell you?”

Charles yelled, “No! Why would he do this? Is he trying to get himself killed?”

Scott defended Gale, “He’s trying to save you!”

Charles’s face fell, “Me?”

Scott sighed and patted Charles back, “Charles, since you were twelve you’ve been singing up for the tesserae. Your name is in twenty-something times. Gale’s name is but not as much as you, he can’t be chosen. It’s…impossible.”

Charles sat quiet. Why Gale? 

Scott spoke up, “Charles he’s…safe.”

Charles looked at Scott, tears filling up in the corners of his eyes, stood up and head towards the exit, “See you at the Reaping.”

Scott scrambled to his feet, “Charles!”

But Charles continued moving, until he reached the streets leading him home.