chapter 19 (Unedited)

"Abbu ko naukri se kyu nikala?" Mahjabeen asked as she sat beside Murtasim, he turned his face towards the wall, feeling guilty and angry at the same time

"Abbu ko naukri se kyu nikala?" Mahjabeen asked as she sat beside Murtasim, he turned his face towards the wall, feeling guilty and angry at the same time. The wall in between the lies and love was finally going to collapse. The peace was going to end, he had hoped he could avoid this confrontation, but the more he avoided the more painful the betrayal became.

"Bakhtu ne... ", he closed his eyes, "uss din darwaza Bakhtu ne lock kiya tha bahar se".

Mahajbeen blinked, not understanding the context, "Konsa darwaza?"

The way she said it, it made him laugh, why was she acting all innocent?

"Jaise tumhe pata nhi hai".

He stood up, maintaining distance from her as she held his bicep, "Murtasim..." she breathed, and he held in a sigh.

She had so much power over him, he couldn't see even a little sadness on her face and when she whispered his name, it made him want to keep all of this inside. But how long would he keep it all in, maybe one day he would burst out at her and hurt her more.

She pulled him towards her, so that he could face her, and he let her. It was not very often Mahjabeen initiated contact, so now eventhough he felt upset by her constant lies he couldn't turn away from her.

"Abbu ne koi galti kardi kya?"

Murtasim breathed, "Hmm..."

She thinked hard and smiled nervously, "Woh budhe hogaye hai, is umar mai galti toh hogi na".

Murtasim bit his lip, "Galti? Ye humara jo nikkah hua hai zabardasti, woh tumhare Abbu ki wajeh se hua hai!"

He regretted the tone he used, the way she flinched, her eyes tearing up as she backed away.

"Woh- woh Bashar uncle ne-"

"Nahi, usse pehle. Hum dono ko kamre mai lock tumhare Abbu ne kiya tha", Mahjabeen's composure changed as she crossed hands across her chest, coming closer to him, "Jhoot!"

Her father could never do that, "Ilzam lagarahey ho mere Abbu par"

She grabbed his collar tightly, her eyes blazing with anger and betrayal. "Saboot hai tumhare paas? Mere abbu pe ilzaam lagaogey? Puri zindagi tumhare aur tumhari Ammi ki khidmat ki hai, apne khudke bacchon se zyaada tumhe waqt diya hai, aur badle mai ek jhootey ilzam ki bunyad pe naukri se nikal diya. Nikalna hi tha toh acchese nikalte."

"Jhoot nhi bolra. Recording hai. Ruko," he said, pulling out a tape. Her face crumpled as she saw the footage of her father closing the door.

She wiped her tears and forced a smile. "Haan, maine hi bola tha Abbu ko darwaza band karne ke liye," she said, her voice trembling. "What nonsense." Murtasim was taken aback; he never thought their confrontation would escalate like this.

"Mujhe karni thi tumse shaadi. Maine Abbu ko bola tha...," she began, her voice breaking. The lie weighed heavily on her tongue. "Ki darwaza band kardijiyega. Ab bolo, kya karogey? Abbu ko naukri se nikaal diya, tees saal se tumhare ghar mai they. Mai toh tees din bhi nhi thi, ghar se nikalogey, ya zindagi se?"