Chapter 22

Warning- Don't read this chapter if you're upset, alone or travelling. Or having a bad day. I have warned you before and I am warning you again. If this story triggers you, please don't read it. I have some romcoms on my profile, you can check them out.

Listen to 'O khuda' for angst lovers.

____

"You would have been happier, if you were married to Murtasim", Usama stated, they were sleeping on the bed, Maheer hummed, "Indeed".

"He wouldn't have disappointed you  like me", he felt a little disappointed that Maheer didn't disagree, "Bilkul".

"Murtasim is a better husband than me", Maheer turned to him, "Beshak, he would have been a better husband"

"I don't understand what's wrong with me...", he sighed looking at the ceiling, "You are in love ", Maheer replied and sat up.

"I have wronged you", Before Usama could apologise Maheer stopped him, "You haven't, my father had wronged me. He had destroyed four lives. Although you have disappointed me, I understand that all of this isn’t in your control. Do you know before my father, my mother was engaged to my uncle (phupha)? Both of them were in love but my aunt liked my mother's fiance so my father played a game, he trapped my mother. Made it look like they were having an affair so my uncle was heartbroken and married my aunt."

"Tum pehle insaan nahi ho jiski zindagi kharab ki hai mere Abba ne. He had ruined so many lives".

Usama knew this was a sensitive topic, Maheer rarely discussed about her mother so he held her hand and pulled her close embracing her, "Buland phupha could never love my aunt Tayyaba, woh sirf meri Ammi ko chahte they. He would shower me with all the love, Abbu ko nafrat thi jab Buland phupha mujhe pyaar karte. Ammi Abbu ke beech ikhtelaaf badhte gaye, mujhe Ammi ka samajh nahi aata tha because I wasn't close to her. Ammi dur rehti thi mujhse, she wouldn't talk to me. I didn't understand then, but I understand now".

Tears were dropping from her eyes, "She couldn't love me because I wasn't Buland's daughter, and you can't love me because I am not Mahjabeen. Aadat hogayi hai ab toh... you both are victims and I will forever suffer for my father's sins."

As he tried to talk, "Humdardi nahi chahiye tumhari bas ek wadah karo"

"Kya?"

"Koshish karogey.. love me one day?"

It was like the younger her was pleading to him, those eyes were vulnerable enough to grip his heart. He hugged her feeling his cycle of guilt begin again.

In all of this, Maheer was the one who was suffering. The poor girl had both the parents but was still neglected, Usama had grown in a joint family, so although sometimes he felt lonely, he was never alone.

"I will apologise to Murtasim."

___

"Tum yaha," Murtasim closed the door standing in front of it.

Usama sighed, "Aapse baat karni thi".

At the end of the day, they were brothers. Usama knew he had hurt him, they never fought as kids. Murtasim was the silent type. While Usama was the curious one.

Life was going so well, until Shahanawaz Khan passed away, Usama was immature then, he didn't like how his father paid more attention to Murtasim.

"Kis baarey mai?"

Usama couldn't meet his eyes, feeling guilty in his pursuit of love he completely disregarded the fact that Mahjabeen was Murtasim's wife, the fact he was Maheer's husband. And ended up hurting both of them. He couldn't meet his eyes.