37. WHISPERS OF BROKEN PROMISES

A gentle touch, a beautiful symphony.
She played the piano,
as if she devoted herself to it.
Softly, exquisitely, melodiously.
For in the world of unknown,
only her heart recognised it.

___________________________

Avya
(TW: Mention of Self Harm)

The dining room was decorated with elegance, reflecting the Singhania's wealth and taste.

Crystal chandeliers hung overhead, casting a warm, inviting light over the table set with fine china and polished silverware.

A centerpiece of fresh flowers added a touch of vibrancy to the muted tones of the room.

"As a token of gratitude from the Singhania's, we are thinking of inaugurating a special ward for mentally ill people at Rawal Hospital. We'll take full responsibility for the funding," Tara Singhania said, looking directly at Dr. Abhir Rawal, my father.

Her words made me pause mid-bite, not that I was eating much anyway.

My father always wanted to build the ward for specially-abled people. It was one of his dream projects, but funding or the approval process always slowed things down.

I stole a glance in his direction; he looked caught off guard.

I looked around, I really didn't understand the purpose of this dinner, and even if they wanted this meet-cute, why was I included here? I was totally happy eating with Mythila upstairs.

In fact, I was on my way upstairs the moment I heard my father was here too.

I couldn't face him.

Didn't want to.

That day at the hospital, the shock about Miss Mythila was too real and pushed other thoughts to the back.

But today, my mind was on complete alert, and the images I'd stored in the deepest corners were forcing their way forward.

"That's very generous of you, Mrs. Singhania. But it isn't necessary; we have it under control," he said, shocking me.

Wasn't it his dream project? Why was he saying no?

"The Singhanias are more than happy to contribute to this cause. Our connections would help speed up the process, and personally, I insist, Father-in-law," Hridhaan said, his tone unusually calm.

But I could sense something brewing in that mind of his. Even Dadi nodded in agreement.

"Lucky us, Dr. Rawal. Being Singhania's in-laws has its own perks," Samaira's father said, with a smile like a cunning wolf.

I knew about him from Samaira, but what I didn't know was that her stepmother was pregnant.

I despised that man to the core for what he did to Samaira two years back.

If there was a place worse than hell, he could rot there.

The urge to kick him and shout at him for what he did to her was hard to resist.