Chapter 2

The doors of the Darling's house open and in steps a middle aged woman.

"Oh, dearest George, dear Mary. Oh, what a journey I've had!" she says.

The two adults, who are there to welcome her, smile at this. But then, the chandelier above shakes.

Mary, the younger woman looks at the older woman with a slight smile.

"Bath time." she says.

Upstairs, Michael, who is completely naked is running through the hallway with an Indian headdress, while yelling like an Indian. Nana comes running after him. When Michael notices Nana approaching, he starts screaming. Nana catches up to him, and next thing little Michael knows, is that he's riding on the dog's back as she runs to the bathroom, where a bubble bath is waiting for him. She stops in front of the bathtub, sending Michael flying into the bubble bath.

"Not fair!" Michael groans, looking at Nana.

"Not fair, indeed. But Nana was the finest nurse on four paws."

Nevaeh comes in and giggles at the scene.

"No, no, I will not forgive you." Michael says to Nana with a straight face, while Nana starts licking him, like she's washing him.

"You really think you can resist her sweet kisses?" Nevaeh teases him.

Michael groans once again.

~

Later, Mary plays a cheery song on the piano while George sings. Mirell, John and Michael are sitting on the couch, singing along, while Nevaeh and Aunt Millicent are sitting on separate chairs. Mirell has a bow in her hair, and she's wearing a pink nightrobe over her sleeping gown.

"There never was a happier, simpler family. Mr. Darling was a banker who knew the cost of everything, even a hug. Mrs. Darling was the loveliest lady in Bloomsbury...with a sweet, mocking mouth that had a kiss on it..."

Mirell takes a look at her mother's mouth and her smiley face turns into a dreamy and thoughtful one.

"...that Mirell could never get. Though there it was, perfectly conspicuous on the right-hand corner."

Mirell is still looking at her mother's mouth, but she's pulled out from her thoughts by John and Michael, who pull her up from the couch. They all start dancing in a circle.

"And sometimes there was Aunt Millicent...who felt a dog for a nurse lowered the whole tone of the neighbourhood. There was also Nevaeh, who was a great friend to the Darlings and they thought of her as family."

Nevaeh is sitting on a chair, laughing as Mirell and her brothers dance and sing the song their mother is playing. Aunt Millicent looks startled because of the dancing and singing. Nevaeh laughs harder at this, gaining a glare from Aunt Millicent, since she's supposed to be a lady after all but the atmosphere in the room is so joyful, that Nevaeh can't resist.

Soon, George stops the children from dancing and gathers them.

"All right, all right, all right, all right. Less noise." George says, leading the children to the couch. Mirell jumps on it as the song ends. The boys follow.

"Let's settle down. This is not a farm." George says.

Everyone starts clapping.

"That was brilliant, Mr. Darling." Nevaeh says.

"Bravo, George. Bravo." Aunt Millicent says while clapping.

The children are also clapping and laughing, sitting on the couch.