Chapter 5: JADAMIA 4; Czarina Thelxiepeia Beatrix

"There you are! Why are you hiding in the dark?"

Sarina didn't answer and just lowered her gaze, I adjusted my sight to see her sitting on a small rock. Is she crying? I mean— How would I ever know? We're surrounded by bodies of water.

I swam towards her

"Are you alright?"

"Don't bother. I don't need anyone."

"Yes, you need someone right now." I insisted

She gazed at me intently

"Your name is Eleonora, correct?"

"Certainly, that's the more official version of my name. But please, feel free to use Leonora, as that's what most folks go with."

She just lowered her gaze.

I was thinking of a question that would lighten up the mood like...

"Hmm, do sirens have fascinating, enchanting voices like mermaids? You wouldn't be addressed as the 'Song of the Sea' for nothing, am I correct?"

She scoffed and grinned slightly.

"Our voices are melodious, perhaps even more enchanting than those of mermaids."

"Oh, really? How about a sample?

She looked at me viciously, "I could, if you wish to breathe one last time."

"Pardon me?"

"Eleonora Verenity, Princess of Ssapiro... Just so you know, mermaids are super friendly, colorful, and sweet. You can hear them singing their enchanting melodies— they're basically everything nice! Interestingly, on the other hand, sirens present beautifully alluring faces, but hides a truly eerie and haunting personality.
Yes, our voices were indeed captivating; so much so that they caused you to wish to die. We lure sailors and visitors to the deepest part of our ocean. Ever wondered what we do to them?"

My heart beats fast... "What did you do?...

"We devour them"

She screeches on my face in a high pitch voice, showing her sharp teeth and so-called 'ugly' look, but for me? No. It's their culture, it's who they are... That is why I am here.

Believe me, it did give me a sense of unease, but I chose not to show it

Believe me, it did give me a sense of unease, but I chose not to show it. I believe it's important for her to know that not everyone views them as scary, vicious monsters. She stopped screeching and pinned her gaze at me intently

"Why are you not scared?" she pulled away a little, "You know there's a good chance I might just eat you now, right?"

"You're right..." I smiled before saying, "But I trust you. You're having a hard time now, but I can't deny that I saw you smiling while touring us in the place earlier."