E I G H T

"OH, MY gosh, that's what's-her-name. Lily, from our auditions" Seb gaped as he watched Toby's phone. "She isn't just co-directing the show, she's starring in it."

"You mean perfect-pitch, looks-like-an-actual-Disney-princess, super-fangirl/mean-girl Lily?" Ashlyn asked, putting her hands on her hips.

"I'll go with yes." EJ said, looking at his cousin.

"I remember her vaguely." Ashlyn's voice wavered.

"Thank you all for coming so quickly on a Saturday. Or most of you all." Miss Jenn and Carlos walked into the bomb shelter, hula hoops and target bags in their hands. "We're missing a teapot and a village idiot."

"Uh, I think they're at the pizza place." Said Toby.

"Kourtney texted in the group. They couldn't get anyone to cover their shifts." EJ smacked Seb's shoulder "oh."

"Oh... I didn't see that text." Miss Jenn started pulling out her phone. Everyone's eyes widened. What Miss Jenn didn't know, was that there was two separate group chats. One with everyone and Miss Jenn and one with everyone except Miss Jenn.

"I meant the group chat with me and EJ." Seb gave two thumbs up to Toby. Toby shook his head and smiled.

"Well, back to the matter at hand. I can tell from your solemn faces you've all seen... the video." The cast murmured "yeah's" and nodded their heads.

"It's incredible. Even I have no notes. I can't believe they stole our show." Said Carlos.

"I think their Lumiere is an actual French exchange student." Toby said, looking at everyone.

"Miss Jenn, how are we supposed to beat North at the Menkies if they're churning out this a second after changing the musical? It's like..." after Ashlyn had spoken, everyone chattered to the ones next to them.

"Wildcats! Take heart. North High is clearly focusing on bells and whistles. Impressive. But distracting. All we need is..." Miss Jenn trailed off, hoping for someone to answer. Seb spoke up.

"Friendship?" He smiled.

"No, Seb, all we need is to get back to basics. Emotional performances that connect with the audience can make all the difference with these judges. And I have a plan. Which is why you've all been called in today. And that plan is... a weekend acting intensive." Miss Jenn made jazz hands as she explained.

"Acting intensive like-" EJ started.

"Improv. Character work. Movement exercises." Toby watched as Miss Jenn moved around the room. "Hey, Gina." Gina was staring at her phone, not paying attention to the world around her. "Gina." Miss Jenn waved her hand in front of the curly haired girl and smiled when she finally looked up. "Are you here?" Gina's eyes widened and she quickly set her phone down.

"Mmm. Yeah. Yeah." She shrugged.

"Okay. We're going to connect with our characters. And impressive performances, not fancy staging or actual killer wolves, will be or key to the gold. And don't forget, we have something North High doesn't." Miss Jenn beamed. Seb smiled widely.

"Friendship!-"

"A brand-new original song for the Beast and the rose." Miss Jenn pointed towards Nini and Toby. The cast all clapped and cheered. "Um, and, uh, how's that coming along, you guys?" Toby and Nini looked at eachother, their mouths opened, as if they were going to say something. "Toby, you stay here with me for deep-dive Beast character work. Nini, take the weekend off, skip the workshop and get a first draft of the duet down for the Beast and the rose! Okay! Let's get something on our instagram by Monday. So we can clap back at Zackey, I mean, North High. Capisce?" Miss Jenn said quietly to Carlos.