Ch.7 Brink of Uncertainties

The morning sun cast a golden glow over the town as Aat and Areth prepared to leave for the main city

This trip was meant to solidify their newfound fortune and ensure their return to their old life.

"Ready?" Aat asked, placing a reassuring hand on Areth's shoulder.

Areth nodded. "Ready."

They left the house, riding through the familiar streets on the cart. The air was filled with a sense anticipation.

As they arrived in the main city, the weather was gloomy, almost like it was about to rain. Soon they were greeted by many old neighbors.

"Areth! Aat! How have you been?" one of them called out.

Areth smiled warmly. "We’ve been well, thank you. We’re coming back soon."

Their neighbors seemed pleased with the news, offering well-wishes and congratulations as they continued towards the administration office by the seaside.

When they arrived at the office, the scene before them was confusing, perplexing, terrible. They saw Porsche shouting angrily at a man behind the front desk. Two officers were holding him back.

"What's going on?" Aat whispered, alarmed, while looking at his son.

Areth quickly made his way through the crowd, reaching Porsche. "Porsche! What happened?"

Porsche turned, tears of rage and frustration in his eyes. "They’re saying... they’re saying everything’s gone, Father! Uncle Areth, we were supposed to be informed first!"

Areth's heart sank. "What do you mean, gone?"

The officer at the front desk, looking distressed, handed Areth a document. "I’m very sorry, sir," he said. "Your ship was torn apart in a storm. The goods have been discovered, but due to your debts, all the wealth will be seized by the monarch as compensation."

Areth took the paper with trembling hands and gave it first to his elder brother. Aat started reading the details, and as he turned the page, his knees gave out. Areth and Porsche quickly moved to support him.

"No... this can’t be," Areth whispered, tears escaping his eyes.

He felt a wave of despair crash over him. He took the paper from his brother's hand, reading it himself. The reality of their situation hit him like a punch to the gut. "Brother..."

Aat, regaining some composure, looked at his son and brother. "We’ll get through this. We have to stay strong."

Porsche, though visibly shaken, nodded. "We’ll figure something out."

Aat turned to the officer, his voice trembling with anger "Why weren’t we informed first?"

The officer, instead of offering an explanation, responded rudely. "We have procedures, sir. You're not the only ones with problems."