Ch.8 leading to Danger

Areth was in a bar, secluded in a private room with a group of people

Areth was in a bar, secluded in a private room with a group of people. He had been gambling and drinking for over an hour, the haze of alcohol dulling his senses.

A fortune reader was there, using trait cards to predict the future, and Areth was just about to spend money on last reading when a man's voice, familiar and cold, cut through the noise.

"I was gone for one hour and I am replaced?"

Areth didn't need to turn around to know who it was. He felt a chill run down his spine. His friends smirked, one of them replying, "We found someone we thought you'd like. His luck is so good look wealth. Power"

Areth finally looked up, his eyes meeting those of the newcomer-a man with a dangerous, cruel smile. Thatch "You're still gambling when you have no money to pay us now and also in the past?"

The man's words struck Areth like a physical blow, the reality of his debts crashing down on him. Without thinking, he swung his fist, punching the man in the face. The room erupted into chaos as the man staggered back, clutching his jaw.

Areth didn't wait for retaliation; he turned and bolted from the room, fear and adrenaline driving him through the crowded bar.

As everyone started to scatter she peeked through the last Card her finger trembled. Bad omen.

Porsche and Aat were searching the dark, rain-soaked alleys for Areth when they noticed a familiar bar nestled in a shadowy corner.

Hoping to find Areth, they stepped inside. The bar was dimly lit, filled with the heavy smell of alcohol and the murmurs of patrons lost in their own worlds. They glanced around but didn't see Areth.

"Let's get a drink and ask around," Aat suggested, and they approached the old bartender.

"Two ales," Porsche ordered, hoping the bartender might have seen his uncle. Before they could ask, a sudden commotion erupted near the back of the bar.

They turned just in time to see Areth running, his face pale with fear.

"Areth!" Porsche and Aat yelled simultaneously, but their voices were lost in the noise.

Instead of Areth, a group of men who had been chasing him turned to look at them. At the front of the group was Thatch Kai's tail?, man had a cruel, twisted smile.

Porsche frowned, confusion mixing with anger. "What's Thatch doing here in the city and not in town?" he muttered.

Before Aat could open his mouth, Thatch stepped forward. "Let's take the greetings when we get to town. Now, Your brother gambled away your wealth," he sneered pointing at Aat. "Lost it all, and now he's run off. It's time for someone to pay up."

Aat's face hardened with disbelief. "My brother would never gamble like that. You've got it wrong."

Thatch's smile widened, eyes glinting maliciously. "Then why's he been gone for hours if not gambling? Now it's your turn to pay his debts." He pulled out a knife, holding it menacingly.