𝟑

the group arrived at the bonfire about ten minutes later.

summer smoked another blunt in the car with conrad, much to jeremiah's dismay since he didn't want his car to smell, leaving her pretty high.

conrad didn't smoke as much because he was planning on drinking.

when they got there, he immediately got a drink and summer went to sit and watch the fire.

ali went over to her situationahip, logan, and jeremiah and steven went who-knows-where.

summer stared at the glowing heat for about twenty minutes before conrad finally went over to her.

"hey." he said and sat down.

she continued staring at the fire.

"sums?"

she slowly turned her head over to him.

"hey, connie." she smiled.

he chuckled. "someone's under the influence."

"mhm." she smirked and giggled.

he let out a laugh and pushed some hair back before taking in the beauty before him.

"where were you?" she asked.

"just with nicole who i took to the deb ball last year." he shrugged. "she thinks i like her, but i don't think i do."

summer shrugged. "and that's okay. you can't control who you like and don't like. like i always say, the heart wants what it wants."

"it does, doesn't it?" he raised his eyebrows.

"yeah." she nodded. "i know what i want, but i'm not allowed to have it."

he gave her a look. "sums..."

they were both silent for a moment.

"forbidden love." she spoke up.

"what?" he asked.

"what we have. it's forbidden love." she responded.

he swallowed. "summer."

she reached out and grabbed his hand. "but it doesn't have to be."

"you know we can't." conrad shook his head, pulling his hand away.

"why, conrad? i know you like me and i like you too." she replied.

"it's best if we don't have relationships right now. with anyone, but especially each other. it's not fair to belly and with my mom—."

"why does everything always have to be about belly?" she interrupted.

conrad furrowed his eyebrows.

"i just mean...what we're doing to protect belly...it's not going to work forever." she clarified.

"i know that, summer. trust me, i know, but,
for the time being, it has to work." he shook his head.

summer thought for a moment.

"what if...what if no one knew?" she raised her eyebrows. "let's say, hypothetically, there was a boy and a girl who couldn't be together, so they date in private and keep the relationship to themselves. kind of like romeo and juliet."

"except...romeo and juliet were enemies at first and then they killed themselves for each other." conrad pointed out.

"stop being doom and gloom, you know what i mean." summer rolled her eyes.

"it...it could work, but what if they're not ready? what if they're keeping sometimes so big and so deep that...that it's too painful to carry to continue the relationship?" conrad questioned.