Arthur

The moon had risen high over the forest, casting long shadows as the knights and I rode through the dense underbrush. Every rustle, every snap of a twig had my heart pounding with both hope and dread. We had been searching for Merlin for weeks, and with each passing day, my fear of what might have happened to him grew stronger.

I had not stopped thinking about him since that fateful day. The look of shock and pain on his face as he used his magic to save me was seared into my memory. I had been angry, yes, but not at him—at myself, for not seeing what he had been hiding for so long, for not understanding the burden he carried.

As we paused to rest, I dismounted and walked a little way into the forest, needing a moment to gather my thoughts. The knights respected my need for solitude, giving me space. I leaned against a tree, looking up at the stars, silently praying for Merlin's safety.

Suddenly, I heard the faintest murmur of voices. My heart leapt into my throat. Could it be? I followed the sound, moving cautiously through the trees until I came upon a hidden cave. From within, I could hear familiar voices—Merlin and Morgana. Relief and confusion washed over me. Morgana, here? What could this mean?

I edged closer, straining to hear their conversation.

"We need to show Arthur the truth," Morgana was saying. "He needs to see that magic can be a force for good, not just destruction."

"And how do we do that?" Merlin asked, his voice heavy with despair. "All he sees is the death I've caused."

"We find a way to help him, to save Camelot from a threat only magic can defeat," she replied. "Once he sees that, he will understand."

My breath caught in my throat. They were talking about helping me, about saving Camelot. Despite everything, Merlin still wanted to protect me, to make things right. A wave of guilt and gratitude surged through me. I couldn't wait any longer.

"Merlin," I called softly, stepping into the cave. Both heads snapped towards me, eyes wide with surprise and a hint of fear.

"Arthur," Merlin whispered, standing quickly. "I... I can explain."

"You don't need to," I said, moving closer. "I heard enough. I know what you did, Merlin, and I know why. You saved my life. You've always been by my side, protecting me, even when I didn't realize it."

He looked at me, eyes filled with pain and hope. "But the magic..."

"I was afraid," I admitted. "Not of you, but of what I didn't understand. But I've had time to think, and I realize now that magic isn't inherently evil. It's how it's used that matters. And you, Merlin, have always used it to protect those you care about."

Morgana stepped forward, her expression serious. "Arthur, we can help you, but you must trust us. There are threats to Camelot that only Merlin's magic can defeat."

"I do trust you," I said, looking between them. "Both of you. But we need to be careful. The people of Camelot fear magic, and we must find a way to show them that it can be a force for good."

Merlin nodded, a glimmer of hope returning to his eyes. "We'll do it together. We'll show them."

As dawn broke, we emerged from the cave, a new sense of purpose driving us forward. We would return to Camelot, not as enemies, but as allies. And as I looked at Merlin, I realized that my feelings for him went beyond friendship. I had almost lost him, and I couldn't bear the thought of a life without him by my side.

The journey back to Camelot was long, but filled with a renewed sense of hope and determination. We would face whatever challenges lay ahead, together. And perhaps, in time, we would find a way to build a future where magic and trust could coexist, where love could flourish in the light of understanding and acceptance.