Chapter 29: Newpapers

"In the final test of initiation next week, you will be going through your fear simulations in real time- we call it a Fear Landscape."

Elle shuddered. She had studied simulations briefly a few years ago, and recalled how the 'Fear Landscapes' worked.

Data, presumably taken from their individual simulations, is turned into a 'landscape' that you can see and touch. However, it is not actually there and is only a virtual representation that only the host and administrator can see.

Four continued, "In the final preparations before your test, you will not be operating under your own fears, but rather ones of a Dauntless member-"

"Me."

Lauren, the Dauntless-born's instructor, raised her hand and looked a little too cheery for the grim setting. Elle glanced around at the initiates, Dauntless-born and transfers alike, and, unsurprisingly, they did not share her enthusiasm.

"Yes," Elle couldn't tell if Four was irritated by the interruption, "anyway, it is important for you all to know that this is the most difficult stage of training. It requires you to chose, one of two ways, to succeed; you can chose to control yourself, or you can fight obstacle, after obstacle."

Suddenly, the intensity of Four's words hit Elle's spine and she struggled on her feet. She clutched Will's arm.

"You will be watched by a panel of Dauntless leaders and finally, scored."

You will be watched by a panel of Dauntless leaders...

The simulations will tell us where the Divergents are...

Elle played those terrifying words over in her mind as Four's eyes skimmed over hers. Something lingered in his look, as if he was going to ask her if she was alright. Again.

"Is this understood?" He looked at the initiates, his voice sounding more assertive than usual.

A chorus of 'yes' answered him and the initiates were dismissed for the night.

Elle latched on to Christina's arm when she released Will's. They walked through the halls and passed the Pit.

Two days ago, Elle had intentionally avoided Al's memorial. Now, she intentionally avoided thinking about him. Instead, she thought about the newspaper underneath her bed.

She had found it on the floor, next to a waste paper bin, in the cafeteria. Jeanine Matthew's sharp expression was printed next to her father's unnerving appearance.

It spoke about the Abnegation accusations- claiming, again, that the faction was withholding vital materials from the system, and that their leader was unfit to lead the faction.

Ridiculous, Elle thought.

But it still harassed her mind, because of the line that mentioned her name.

It had read; The notable betrayal of Mr. Arden's daughter, Eleanor, is still wounding the Erudite faction from afar. Erudite leader, Jeanine Mathews, says, "She had always been a very bright girl, took after her father, and always believed in Erudite. I can't understand the betrayal."

Elle had furiously scribbled out her name through blind tears and buried it under her bed, cursing out Jeanine's lies.

When they returned to the dormitories, she pulled the pages out and dropped it on her bed, finally remembering that her friends had asked to see it.

"Have you ever met her?" Christina asked, glancing at the ex-Erudites once they both looked away from the paper. They did not question the pencil marks that were covering certain words.