Watchers

Mila's POV

I woke up early, and as usual, Matt was already gone. Thank God. No awkward morning sex. Seriously, who wants to make out the second they wake up? Your breath stinks, you're sweaty, you need to pee, you're hungry - why would anyone want to add sex to that list? I needed my morning routine: wash myself, drink coffee, get myself together. Only then, maybe, if I hadn't already put on my makeup, would I consider it. Sorry, babe, my head hurts today.

But just as annoying as Matt's morning boner was my phone ringing on my day off. "Can't catch a break," I complained to myself as it rang again.

"Mila, honey, we have exciting news, but you might not like it!" Sergei's voice had an unusual edge to it.

"What kind of unlikable excitement would that be?" I replied sarcastically.

"You won't believe what our people found in the city. This is so crazy, I swear, you will not believe it," he said, too fast and too indirectly.

"Can you get to the point?" I cut him off.

"Remember those guys who used to race, rape women, and kill for fun?" He still talked in circles.

"Sergei, there are plenty of scumbags like that. Get to the point," my patience was wearing thin.

"The twin is back," he said.

"The twin? As in, THE twin?"

"Yes, yes, the same one," he sounded way too happy about it.

"Shit, that's not good!" I snapped. "Why are you so happy about it?"

"Mila, I thought you were looking for him?" He pretended to be confused.

"Looking for him to make sure he is not around, not to find out he is here. How the hell did you all let this type of information slip through your fingers? He was not supposed to even get to Tokyo!" My patience wore out.

"They arrived yesterday, all three of them. I got to you as soon as possible. I didn't want to call while your husband was here, after the last time..."

"Shut up, please. I am going to the office. Don't do anything while I am not there," I commanded.

I got to the garage and jumped in my car, adrenaline pumping through my veins. I sped through crowded streets until I reached a warehouse far away from the packed city.

As I entered the "office," if you can call it that, Alice jumped in front of me, all smiles as usual.

"Sorry, Alice, no hugs today." I was in no mood. Sergei stood by the window, smoking. That old man looked suspiciously nice and chubby, but behind that misleading look hid a notorious killer who'd been involved in secret coverups and spying for more than half his life. I would never trust that man, as he could slip into any role he wanted. Luckily, he was always on my side. The role he played for me was quite likable; he always made me feel like I am the one in charge. Very fatherly of him.

He turned to me, still excited.

"We have tracked them. It is just a 20-minute drive from here. Want to go take a peek?" He smirked at me.

"What kind of question is that?" I laughed. "Take a peek at what? Their faces?"

"Exactly! Don't you want to see them before figuring out what to do with them?" He smiled wildly.

"Okay, but let's make it quick." I patted his shoulder, feeling like a little child going for a fun ride with parents.

Hearing people's stories, I imagined Tokyo's worst gangsters as rough, heavy, and muscular. Probably in black jackets, with short hair and scars all over their faces - very manly, old-looking, carrying guns at all times. You could see that life had been fighting them every step of the way.