Chapter Eleven | A Near Death, A Flirt And A Ghost Ship

Max watched her footsteps carefully as they ventured towards the caves, the storm clouds gathered, and the wind picked up. Max's hair whipped around her face. Mason and Jaxon flanked her, their eyes fixed on the path ahead.

"This storm is getting worse!" Max shouted over the wind.

"We need to find shelter!" Mason yelled back, his eyes scanning the surroundings.

Jaxon pointed towards a dark opening in the distance next to a small waterfall. "The caves! We can take cover there!"

They sprinted towards the entrance, the rain pounding down on them like a thousand drums. The storm was dark and cold, unpredictable.

As they stumbled into the cave, the storm raged outside, but inside, the air was calm and still.

The cave was breathtaking - crystal formations glittered like diamonds, and a river flowed gently through the center. But Max's awe was short-lived, as she spotted the final clue on a pedestal, surrounded by a halo of light.

"The golden key!" Mason exclaimed, his eyes shining with excitement.

But as they approached, the pedestal began to glow, and a voice boomed from the shadows Max recognized it as Ruth's voice, "Only the bravest and wisest shall claim the key!"

Max and Jaxon exchanged a skeptical look, but Mason stepped forward, his hand outstretched. Why would Ruth include this in a innocent scavenger hunt?

Suddenly, the cave began to shake, and rocks tumbled from the ceiling.

"Look out!" Jaxon shouted, grabbing Max and pulling her towards the river.

As they stumbled into the water, Mason cried out, "Max, grab my hand!"

But Max hesitated, her eyes locked on Jaxon, who was gazing at her with a strange expression. Unsure about the stranger she barely knew and disliked.

"Trust me," he mouthed.

And in that moment, Max decided against her better judgement. She reached out, and Jaxon pulled her to safety just as a massive boulder crashed down, blocking the entrance.

As the storm raged on outside, they huddled together in the cave, the golden key glinting in the dim light. Jaxon's eyes met Max's, and she felt a spark of connection.

"We're stuck here until the storm passes," Mason said, his voice low and gentle.

Max nodded, her heart pounding. It was starting to get dark. "I don't know how we're going to get out of here."

"We're not." Jax mumbled.

As night fell, the storm finally subsiding, they settled down on the crystal floor, "Might as well try talking to each other." Mason shrugged.

"Talk to a witch?" Jax scoffed.

This ticked her off, "I'm not a witch."

"I'll start!" Mason yelled out forcing Max to stay quiet.

As they huddled together in the cave, Mason began to tell stories of his adventures on the island, from discovering hidden caves to encountering wild dolphins. Max listened with wide eyes, feeling like she was experiencing it all through him.

Jaxon, however, remained quiet, his eyes fixed on the golden key. Max tried to draw him into the conversation, but he just grunted or gave brief answers.

"Come on, Jax, share a story," Max teased, nudging him playfully. "Or what? You afraid you're too boring for us?"

Jaxon raised an eyebrow. "What's the point? You'll just laugh or think I'm crazy."