Chapter 16: Unquestionable proof

(Okay, so I went back in time-

Readers: You what?

Not me, the story, I mean it's Friday morning again.

Readers gasp in anger and exasperation.

Yeah and I thought I should inform you before continuing with the story. Don't want you missing any jokes because you don't understand what's going on and after all, I have a title to live up to. Well, anyway, I'm certain you're all glad to hear from me, I mean, what's better than the narrator starting off the chapter?

Annoying reader: You not appearing in it? Why repeat the story anyway?

Mostly to annoy you, but also to help you gain perspective. Enjoy!)

"Good morning Zaharos! It's six and a half a.m. and I'm afraid you just missed one of the most beautiful sunrises in Earth's history."

Veronica was just half-awake when the radio reporter started blurting his usual nonsense.

"Most of the town is still asleep, and no one blames you," the reporter went on. "It's Friday after all! So let's put something to help you wake up!"

That's when the hard rock music started and Veronica was forced to get up from her bed in order to close it. She sat on the bed, still feeling disoriented. Something had woken her up in the night... a soft melody... or had it been the mermaids' song? Yes, something had happened yesterday: the mermaids never sing so near the shore. She tried to remember more, opening her notebook to check if she had written anything down. A new observation had appeared under the mermaids' section, with yesterday's date on it... so she had heard the song before midnight.

The note read: A song (or hymn?) sang in the mermaids' language (which must be close to Latin). It was clear, yet not as vivid as other melodies and mainly created by voices singing in chorus. Gave a feeling of sadness, terror and stillness, yet the final verse was calming and harmonic.

"Look at that," Veronica muttered to herself, impressed by her own determination to write all the important details down.

She went over yesterday's events. At school things had been somewhat peculiar, even for Zaharos' standards. In the morning, Mariana had been trying to destroy Sidonia, making a great show of her gymnastic abilities and strength. Veronica had noticed how Sidonia seemed to be getting worst every day and she was certain Eliana had something to do with it, but she didn't know what; at least not until the first break. She quickly went over the notes from yesterday. What would the impact of Mariana's plan be if it succeeded? How will the results affect the bigger picture? Was Zaharos safe?

Veronica knew that there was only one way for Zaharos to be truly safe and she had an important role to play in it; she had a plan. A plan she had set in motion weeks ago, a plan that Axel almost ruined when he erased her memory. Yesterday morning, she had seen how Axel looked suspiciously guilty every time he glanced at her. She had searched her notebook for answers but she hadn't found a single note about Axel, which was really strange. She couldn't remember things about him either. When she came back home, she found a single note stuck on her poster: "The cheese is on the table". At once, she removed the poster from the wall. Behind it, she had the map of Zaharos with several notes about the magical creatures and the Arkatelians. She read through the notes and the memories started flooding back. To save Zaharos she needed Axel's help. He had to know she knew, but she couldn't risk another mind-wipe. She glanced at the clock and hastily started getting ready for school. When she walked into the kitchen, her parents were already preparing breakfast. She grabbed a toast and her bag.

"Veronica, why are you in such a hurry?" her mother asked.

"I simply do not want to be late," Veronica answered.