Part 2

Khushi stood beside her Anjali di as the engagement ceremony and all rituals progressed one by one. Her di could not have found a better match than Vikrant Jiju. He was not only Khushi's doctor but also a great friend who always understood what she wanted to say or what she needed to do. During the initial few weeks after her accident and subsequent memory loss, when she felt truly lost, Vikrant was there to guide her every step of the way. At times when she used to feel like she was getting lost in a dark abyss trying to remember her past, he was the one who taught her that she had her present and future to cherish. Sometimes, she felt more comfortable talking to him than to her Di or anyone else in her family. Maybe because he was a doctor, or maybe because he had a knack for making his patients feel trust in him and themselves. But Khushi had immense respect and faith in him. And that was why when his family brought proposal for her Di, she was very happy. She had seen how he and Anjali di had become companions during her treatment. While Vikrant was more like an elder brother to khushi, his camaraderie with Anjali spoke of the love that life partners share. Thus, it was Khushi who insisted on her di's marriage to him and make him her official family.

The ceremony was now over, and guests started coming on the stage to congratulate the newly engaged couple. Khushi's eyes had been curiously observing one handsome man, dressed in business casuals, whom she knew as one Arnav Singh Raizada. In the past 3 years, she had met him a handful of times and every time he managed to have her attention. Not that he did anything, or said anything beyond a few polite words but still, something about him made khushi intrigued. Maybe because he was the first one, she saw in that hospital 3 years ago after she regained consciousness. She had felt as if he was someone very close to her or she was special to him. But to her disappointment, he just shared her last name- Singh Raizada, apart from that he didn't have any relationship with her. That was what she was told.

After nearly all guests were done meeting them, Arnav and the lady with him came on the stage. Vikrant jiju met him cordially while Anjali just thanked him for wishes, but khushi was bracing herself to hear from the lady with him. She seemed like a nice person and was undoubtedly beautiful. For some odd reason, Khushi felt threatened with her. It was finally when Arnav introduced her as Kashish, his friend and landlady and Kashish added saying she has "adopted" him as her brother, khushi let out the breath she didn't know she was holding. They then handed over a beautiful rose bouquet to Anjali and Vikrant.

Arnav's eyes then landed on Khushi, and he approached her holding her gaze. "How are you, Khushi?"

Just a simple question. Just 4 words and yet like a magician wielding his magic, he had her hypnotized. Why did he affect her so? He was married. If not Kashish, he still had a wife living somewhere in this world, why was khushi not able to stop herself from feeling attracted to him? It was illicit to even think that.

"We brought this for you." Kashish then said, extending a box to her, "It has jalebis."

Khushi smiled at her accepting the box, "Thank you." she said.

"Why don't you open it and taste one immediately? They are from the famous Indian sweet shop in London. We brought them just before heading to the airport." Kashish excitedly told.

Khushi hesitated for a moment and then looking from Kashish to Arnav and then guiltily looking away, she said, "Actually, I don't like sweets."

Arnav's face fell hearing that and he excused himself to exit from the party hall. He needed to go out. He needed to breathe. He needed some fresh air.

Kashish followed him, feeling puzzled by his behavior.

"Bro, are you ok? What happened?" she asked, keeping her hand on his shoulder.