Part 20

They all returned home late that night, high on the excitement and joy from the dance festival organized by Khushi's college. Nani, Mamiji, Akash, Payal, and almost everyone in that large family had similar memories from earlier that evening – especially the moment when Arnav and Khushi had danced together, lost in a world of their own. It had been an overwhelming sight; a glimpse of their lost love and it raised a ray of hope in everyone's hearts.

It was near midnight when they entered Shantivan. As dinner had been provided at the event, they decided to retreat to their rooms for the night, with their smiles still in place.

Except for Khushi.

She lingered behind, particularly around Anjali.

And then instead of going to her room, she silently walked alongside Anjali, taking the opposite direction than her own room.

Anjali obviously noticed it but didn't say anything. Perhaps Khushi was overwhelmed after that eventful evening and wanted to share it with her Di?

"Khushi? Kuch kehna hai (do you want to say something)?" Anjali finally asked as they entered her room.

Khushi nodded. "Haan, Di."

"Bolo (Yes)?"

Khushi's lips pressed into a thin line, as she asked nervously. "Di, you once said... you told me that you keep all the legal documents for everyone in our family. Do you have the ones related to me too?"

Anjali was puzzled. Unable to understand the direction of this sudden question.

"Which one do you need, gudiya?" She tried to counter-question in an attempt to buy some time.

"The- erm- my ...my marriage certificate."

This time Anjali's heart really skipped a beat.

The document- or rather the lack of it- represented a chapter of Khushi's past that had colors of pain and hurt. Of abandonment by her own! It was the truth they had tried to shield her from until now.

Was it finally the time to reveal it to her? Anjali had to have a word with Vikrant and importantly with Arnav once...

So, she maintained her poise and replied with as much conviction as she could, "Sure. But I will need to look for it in the safe. Kal subah tak dein toh chalega (Is it ok to find it by tomorrow morning)?"

Satisfied with the answer, Khushi smiled, "Of course, Di. Thank you." She said, and hugged Anjali.

And then Khushi was gone from there, taking Anjali's sleep with her.

--*--

"You do realize that she may not forgive you after hearing all that, Arnav. Don't you?" Kashish asked with apprehension.

When Anjali informed Arnav and the rest of the family about Khushi's inquiry regarding her marriage certificate, they all feared it was time she heard the entire truth of her forgotten past. The good, the bad, the ugly!

And thus, they all had gathered there early in the morning while Khushi still soundly slept.

"I do. And I am still willing to go through with it." Arnav replied in a tone set with surety.

"Par Arnav bitwa, there is no needs to tell her the entire truth. Her memories are gone, toh aa bail mujhe maar karne ki kya zarurat hai (why to invite trouble)? Just tell her your marriage was arrange marriagewa and certificate is lost." Mami suggested, her priority being just her dearest Arnav bitwa! Besides, Khushi anyway had no memories of the past so how does it matter if they refabricated the truth for everyone's good, including hers?