Chapter 11

I stood motionless, not sure what to say or do. He looked away, gazing over all her pictures. A smile started to spread across his saddened features. Then, he gave a big sigh before turning back to me.

"Anyway, as you've probably guessed, these are all her clothes. Please, make use of them."

I shook my head, gobsmacked. "I can't. It would just feel so wrong."

"It's fine, Sophie. I wouldn't have suggested the idea if I wasn't ok with it."

"I know but...I can see how much it still hurts...I just...I don't want to make it worse by wearing her clothes."

He smiled at me, the water in his eyes welling up higher. "Please. I'll be offended if you don't."

I gave a nervous laugh. "No pressure then." I debated the awkward situation for a brief second. What exactly was I supposed to do? Considering the change in his attitude, and his kind gesture, it would be rude to refuse. "Ok, thank you. I really don't know how to say thank you enough."

He turned back to her wardrobe and rifled through the glittering selection inside. He pulled out an emerald and white checked shirt with sparkles of tiny crystals dotted all over.

"I think this would really suit you."

I reached out, touching the soft fabric. "It's beautiful."

"Go try it on. There's an en-suite there." He pointed behind me and smiled.

I nodded and took his offering.

The en-suite was huge, all pearl white décor with tasteful, contemporary lighting above. I slipped my top off and took just a moment to soak in the detail on his sister's shirt. It was exquisite, simply stunning. Guilt gnawed at me as I thumbed the silky material between my thumb and forefinger. How bad was it to wear a deceased person's clothes? Even if freely offered?

I whimpered, stuck between my conscience and the difficult situation. How would I feel if these were my clothes? I focused on that point for just a brief moment. If I had a brother, which right now, I wish I had instead of my selfish sibling, and he offered my clothes to another woman to wear, would I mind? If I liked her, definitely not. After all, better someone wear them than they go to waste.

I took a deep breath and slid my arms inside the shirt. It glided over my skin like silk, sending a shiver down my spine. I buttoned it up, then looked at myself in the mirror. Even I had to admit it looked good. It hugged all the right places and I couldn't wait to complete the look later tonight.

I walked back out to Brady, feeling a little shy.

He burst into a huge smile. "You look fabulous. It really suits you."

I blushed and whispered my thanks.

He turned back to the wardrobe, and pulled out a jet-black Stetson with a silver buckle wrapped around its edge. He beckoned me forwards with his finger. My heart jumped at the gesture, skipping into irregular beats as I closed the gap between us.

Stopping a few inches away from him, I licked my dry lips in an attempt to moisten them. What was this guy doing to me? How? I hated just the thought of him twenty-four hours ago.

He dropped the hat on my head, and burst into a beaming smile. "Perfect!"

I turned to the mirror on the opposite wall, and blushed. If I curled my hair just a little more, it would give the perfect cute but sexy cowgirl image. My cheeks flared with colour as I looked back at him. "Thank you so much."

"Not a problem." He rummaged about in the wardrobe again, and this time, pulled out a belt with a huge silver horse head on it. "Here. This will finish the look off nicely."

I gasped as he placed it in my hands. It was just as beautiful as everything else. I ran my fingers over the smooth metal and allowed emotions to overtake me. After all the hell I'd been through, this was probably the nicest thing anyone had done for me since.

A wave of water welled up in my eyes and I bit my lip to stem the flow. "I'll take real good care of all of it. This is just incredible. Thank you."

"You're welcome. I look forward to seeing you all dressed up later."

Heat flushed through me once more and my heart fluttered. Something about all of this felt so...intimate. I wanted to chase the moment, savour it, keep it a reality for however long I could, but what could I say?

"I'm sorry."

He frowned. "For what?"

"For your sister."

"It's not your fault."

I smiled and nodded.

An awkward silence fell between us. I couldn't help but chastise myself for doing nothing but killing the connection I'd felt. It had been there, right? It wasn't just my imagination?

"We'd best head back," he said, motioning towards the door. "Lots to do this afternoon."

Disappointment seeped through me. If I hadn't said that, would he be suggesting we leave?

I walked back to the front door in a daze, completely lost in my thoughts. If I hadn't of been, I think I would have paid too much attention to the burning stare creeping up my spine.

A fleeting thought passed through me as I wondered if he was staring at my ass. I double checked myself. Did I want him to stare at my ass? Butterflies surged around in my gut, complementing the double beats of my heart. All the time I'd been with Ben, I'd never paid any attention to another man, and now, here I was wondering if one was staring at my behind.

As I reached the front door, I realised I did want him to check me out, but I didn't know why. Was it because I liked him? Or was it because I needed reassurance that I was still attractive after Ben's betrayal?

"I'll get that," he said, as I wrapped my hand around the door handle.

He appeared from behind me with a charming smile and a soft edge lining his eyes. Within inches of me, looking up at me from beneath his sooty lashes as he leaned towards the door, I answered my question. Sun-kissed skin, a working man's body with the promise of an incredible physique beneath those cowboy clothes, and dark eyes to sweep you into promises of a good time—any woman who didn't find him attractive couldn't be straight. Even if I was a lesbian I think he'd turn me.

A deep craving to touch him had a grip of me. I just wanted to lay a finger on him, stroke his skin to see if it was as silky smooth as it looked. In nothing short of a trance, I lifted a hand. He flickered his gaze towards my hand, and then back to me. He didn't move, nor speak. Was this my permission to go ahead?

My breath caught in my throat, my heart rate trebled. I'd never touched anyone but Ben. And we weren't officially over. What was I doing? If I did this, I'd only be as bad as him.

That was enough to break my fascination.

I yanked my hand back and itched my head. I shifted my eyes to the floor, silently praying my cheeks wouldn't heat up.

"Ladies first," he said, opening the door. "Get yourself mounted up, and I'll be out in a minute."

I scuttled outside, letting out a deep breath as I all but ran towards Cody. What the hell was happening to me out here?