Top Gun

The wind whips past me as I swing between the buildings of Nueva York. My mind wandered back home and I wondered if it would be a good idea to check up on things. But what if my mom was gone? What if my dad refused to take me back? What if he found out that I was Supernova? What would happen then? I already knew my world was crumbling and would shatter if it didn't have its Spider-Person. I knew I couldnt run from my problems but I couldn't quite face them either. Not yet. Not when it seemed as if everything was going right for once. No nightmares, no more restless sleep, no more anxiety attacks. Everything seemed... right.

But home called for me, New York and Harlem needed me and I knew I needed them as well. I couldn't stay here forever. Not when everything was at stake.

"But you can't just go back home because you feel homesick!" Gwen yells at my back as I pack the last of my things. "You have no say in my matters, Stacey. You may not be homesick, you may not miss home, but I do. It needs me. You guys don't need me here anyway." I murmur as I close my bag. "Plus, I'll be back every other weekend to make sure everything is alright. But I can't stay away from home too long." I say as I make my way to the door. I just needed some space.

When I finally made it back home, my father wrapped me up in a hug as he threatened to ground me for life. "Relax, Dad. I was just with some friends for a couple of days. I wasn't in any danger." I mutter as I pull away and go to the kitchen, looking for something to eat. "Well, why didn't you tell me you would be with your friends? You worried me." He says as I rummage through the refrigerator, a scoff escaping my lips before I can stop it. "Like a police officer worries about someone as insignificant as me," I mutter to myself when I finally find Chinese takeout. I throw it into the microwave and find some reusable chopsticks in the utensil drawer. "You think you don't matter. Nova, look at me." He says. I can hear his footsteps close the distance between us, but I make no moves to face him."Your mom called... she wants you to visit her." He murmurs, trying to diffuse the tension. "I guess I'll see her tonight," I mutter as I take my food out of the microwave. "I have a lot to do."

I eat my food in my room in peace. My mind continues to wander though, and soon, I find myself thinking about Miguel. I miss him already, even though we have this weird love/hate relationship. But it takes my mind off of all the stresses life throws at me. I wonder... Sometimes I wonder if this is the life I want to live. 

Sure I love being Supernova. I love swinging around the city and saving people, but... is it worth it? I mean... I lost my best friend and I don't know where my mom's health is right now. Is she still healthy after all those years of being sick? Better question... how did she get better? Every doctor we went to told us there was nothing to cure her, that she would have a few years at most. I don't even think I asked her about it the last time I visited her. Maybe I should ask her when I see her tonight. 

I didn't have much time to think about it, because the next thing I knew, I heard a quiet crackle from my mask hidden in my backpack. The little police radio I managed to fit into my mask mumbles quietly, but I can't quite hear what it's saying. I snatched it out of my backpack and put it up to my ear, trying to hear what it was saying. "17th Precinct, Midtown Manhattan, half the block drowning in sand. Need backup"  It was short and clipped, and not enough information to go by, but it was enough. If I arrived in the general area, I could find out what was going on.

I slithered into my suit and put on my mask before sneaking out the window. I managed to get to the area within minutes, well before any backup showed up. I perched atop a building, looking at the streets below and sure enough, it was covered in sand. But... how?

As if sensing my presence, the sand began to shift and move, as if it had a mind of its own. It soon took the shape of a girl, my age and height. Well... after a few moments, she wasn't my height anymore. The leftover sand on the street seemed to gravitate toward her, forming, no, fusing with her, making her taller, stronger and impossible to beat. There would be n way to take her down, not unless I called for help.

Once every grain of sand disappeared, the girl looked around, assessing the people underfoot. A booming laugh escaped her lips as she brought one foot up as if threatening the ant-sized people underfoot. "Hey!!" I yell just loud enough for her to hear me. She stops laughing and turns her attention to me, a scowl."You got a little sand on your shoulder, punk!" I say, hoping to get a rise out of her. And it works. "Who are you, little arachnid? I sure hope you don't think you could beat me. THE SAND GIRL!" She says, her voice echoing through the entire precinct. "Your name is lame," I mutter under my mask, hoping she didn't catch that.

 But she did. "What did you say, little arachnid? I couldn't hear you!" She booms as she reaches out to grab me. I dodge just out of her reach, but she keeps coming after me. As if realizing she couldn't catch me with mere hands, she reached out with her sand, the grains turning into spoonfuls, into bucketfuls until my ankles were trapped in sand. Soon, my whole body was trapped in sand, the only thing that was spared was my head.

"Unhand me, Sand Demon!" I jest out as I squirm in her sandy grasp. I couldn't even use my abilities because my hands were trapped beneath the sand and I couldn't figure out a way to free them. 

The sand tightened around me, restricting my breathing, and I knew if I didn't do anything, it would be a swift and clean death but I wouldn't let her do that. I couldn't... I couldn't... I couldn't. That's all I could think about as my vision turned black at the edges before I was completely surrounded by inky blackness.

I couldn't... I couldn't... I couldn't... 

Could I?