10 - Chosen Family

Varian, still cradled by Rapunzel's warmth, looked at Frederic with a mixture of emotions – hurt, forgiveness, but most importantly, a newfound clarity. The king's apology, while a step in the right direction, didn't erase the years of neglect.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Varian began, his voice hoarse but firm. "And while I appreciate the sentiment, I need to be clear." He took a deep breath, his gaze unwavering. "Biologically, you may be my father, but Quirin... he raised me. He was there for me, through thick and thin. He's the one who nurtured my curiosity, the one who believed in me when no one else did."

A ripple of surprise passed over the room. Rapunzel squeezed his hand in support, her eyes shining with understanding. Arianna, ever the queen, adjusted her posture, a silent acknowledgement of Varian's right to speak his truth.

Frederic stared at Varian, his face a mask of conflicting emotions. Shame flickered across his features, but there was also a flicker of grudging respect. Varian was right, and Frederic, for the first time, was forced to confront the consequences of his actions.

"Quirin is my father in every way that matters," Varian continued. "And Lashanie... she's become like a sister to me. They are my family, the ones I choose."

The words hung heavy in the air, a testament to the bonds forged in hardship. Varian, the ostracized alchemist, had found a family in the most unexpected place – in the love and acceptance of Quirin and Lashanie.

"So," Varian said, his voice gaining strength. "While I am grateful for the opportunity to serve Corona, I won't be residing in the castle. My home is with Quirin and Lashanie."

Arianna, with her quick mind and maternal instincts, stepped forward. "That can be arranged, Varian," she said diplomatically. "Perhaps... a dedicated workshop could be built near their cottage. You can still serve the kingdom while being close to your family."

A smile, hesitant but genuine, touched Varian's lips. That was a solution he could get behind. He could balance his newfound role as royal engineer with the love and support of his true family.

Frederic, humbled by Varian's words and the queen's pragmatism, nodded slowly. "Yes," he agreed, his voice hoarse. "That seems fair."

The tension in the room had finally begun to dissipate, replaced by a tentative understanding. Varian wouldn't be returning as a son to the king, but as a valued asset to the kingdom, a bridge between the castle and the small cottage on the outskirts. He had found his place, his purpose, and his family, and that, in the end, was all that truly mattered.

As a new chapter began, Varian, Rapunzel, and Arianna exchanged a look – a look that held the promise of reconciliation, of a family, albeit unconventional, finding its way back together, brick by metaphorical brick. The journey wouldn't be easy, but with love, forgiveness, and a shared respect for one another, they were finally ready to face the future, together.

Varian hummed to himself, his brow furrowed in concentration as he tinkered away in his new workshop. Sunlight streamed through the large windows, illuminating the clutter of tools, vials, and half-finished inventions that surrounded him. Despite not residing within the castle walls, Varian felt a newfound sense of belonging, a purpose renewed.

Suddenly, a strange sensation washed over him. A tingling in his mind, a presence he couldn't quite define. He paused, his screwdriver hovering over a dismantled automaton. A voice, ethereal and disembodied, whispered in his ear.

"What guards the truth, yet has no voice?"

Varian frowned, his heart skipping a beat. He glanced around the workshop, searching for the source of the voice, but there was no one. A shiver ran down his spine. Had he imagined it?