Chapter 4

I sat on the edge of my bed, tears streaming down my cheeks, my heart heavy with the weight of the conversation downstairs. It wasn't unexpected, but the finality of my father's words still hit hard. I knew I couldn't stay there anymore, not after everything that had been revealed.

Just as I was lost in my thoughts, a gentle tapping on my window startled me. I turned to see Maximine perched outside, his expression a mix of concern and determination.

"Anne, can I come in?" he whispered softly through the glass.

I nodded, wiping away my tears, and he pushed open the window, climbing inside with his usual grace. His presence brought a small sense of relief amidst the turmoil.

"I heard what happened," Maximine said quietly, his eyes scanning my room with a hint of worry.

"Yeah," I muttered, unable to look him in the eye. "I guess I'm officially leaving."

Maximine sat beside me, his wings folding neatly behind him. "Are you sure about this?" he asked gently.

I shrugged, feeling a mix of emotions. "I don't know. But I can't stay there anymore."

He nodded understandingly. "Do you have a plan?"

I shook my head, feeling overwhelmed. "Not really. I thought I'd figure it out as I go."

Maximine gave a faint smile. "That sounds like you."

We sat in silence for a moment, the gravity of the situation weighing heavily on us both. Then Maximine spoke again, his voice earnest. "You know, Anne, you're not alone in this. Whatever happens, I'll be there to help you."

I turned to him, surprised by his sincerity. "Why?" I blurted out, my voice trembling.

He seemed taken aback for a moment, then his expression softened. "Because you matter to me. Because you're destined for something greater, and I want to be there for you."

His words touched something deep within me, and I struggled to hold back tears. "Thank you," I managed to whisper.

Maximine reached out and squeezed my hand gently. "You don't have to say anything right now. Just know that I'm here for you."

I nodded gratefully, feeling a sense of comfort in his presence. "I should start packing," I said after a moment, breaking the heavy silence.

"I should help," He told me. "Well, to where you are only carrying one bag out the door and you won't have to keep hauling bag after bag to wherever you're going. If you want, I can transport your stuff to my place."

I just stared at him surprised. "Are you sure?"

"Well, yes. We still have to train you sometime after school but I'm not leaving you homeless. Azazel should be fine with you staying with us,"

"Okay then," I said. "Thank you,"

"Of course, Anne." He started to work his magic, making the energy rumble in a familiar way. "You ready?" He asked me.

"Yes," I breathed. 

After he transported everything out of my room, save for some stuff to put in a bag, my room looked naked. Maximine watched me as I packed the rest of my stuff into one bag.

"Thank you again, Max. Especially for coming when I called. That was unexpected,"

"Anything for you." And with those words, Maximine spread his wings and leaped out the window, disappearing into the dawn sky. I watched him go, a mix of emotions swirling inside me—fear, uncertainty, but also a glimmer of hope.

Taking a deep breath, I turned back to my room. The tears had stopped, replaced now by a sense of determination. I wiped my cheeks dry.

Standing in the doorway, I hesitated for a moment, taking one last sweeping glance around my room. The early morning light filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow over everything. This room had been my haven, the place I'd come to after tough days at school or fights with my parents. Now, though, it felt like I was leaving a piece of myself behind.

With my bag slung over my shoulder, I made my way downstairs, trying to keep my emotions in check. The kitchen was quiet, heavy with unspoken words and the weight of what was happening. My parents and Jaden stood there, their faces a mix of sadness and resignation. It was like they already knew this day was coming.

"I'm leaving," I said softly, my voice barely above a whisper. I needed them to know, but I also didn't want to linger on the hurt that was etched into their expressions.

No one responded, but their eyes followed me as I stepped outside into the cool morning air. The sky was just starting to blush with the first hints of sunrise, painting streaks of pink and gold across the horizon. It felt like a new beginning, but also the end of something I'd always known.

Walking down the path that led away from my childhood home, I couldn't shake the mix of emotions churning inside me. There was sadness, of course, for leaving behind the familiar and everything I'd grown up with. But there was also a sense of excitement and freedom, knowing that I was finally making my own decisions.

Each step felt like I was shedding a layer of my past, moving closer to a future I could shape for myself. The door closed softly behind me, closing off the chapter of my life that had been defined by others' expectations.

As I walked, I thought about Maximine. Somewhere up there, in the early morning sky, he was watching over me. His promise to support me echoed in my mind, giving me a flicker of hope amidst the uncertainty. It was comforting to know that I wasn't alone in this.

Taking a deep breath, I felt a weight lift off my shoulders. Despite the nerves and the unknowns that lay ahead, I was ready. Ready to face whatever challenges came my way, armed with my own strength and determination to carve out my own path.

With each step, I left behind the comfort of the familiar and embraced the adventure of the unknown. I was eager to write the next chapter of my life, to discover who I truly was beyond the confines of my childhood home.