Chapter 15

Max glided through the sky with ease, his wings propelling us through the cool night air. Flying was still a new experience for me, and I was far from getting used to it. It was exciting yet a bit nerve-wracking, the rush of wind and the height reminding me of just how different this world was from the ground below. Despite my unease, Max's calm demeanor beside me helped steady my nerves as we soared together.

The wind whipped around us, tousling my hair and sending shivers down my spine. I clung to Max, not out of fear of falling but out of awe at the sensation of soaring through the night. His body was warm against mine, a stark contrast to the chill of the air rushing past us.

As we glided over the city, the lights below twinkled like a sea of stars, creating a breathtaking landscape that stretched as far as the eye could see. The familiar landmarks of the town looked different from this vantage point, small and insignificant compared to the vast expanse of the night sky.

 "Why are your wings black?" I asked randomly, feeling a pang of curiosity mixed with a touch of embarrassment for not knowing such basic things about someone I cared so deeply for.

Max chuckled softly, the sound vibrating through his chest against mine. His wings beat steadily, adjusting our course as we soared over a particularly tall building. "Because I am more demonic than angelic," he explained, his voice carrying a hint of amusement. "The angelic gene only goes so far. My heritage is a bit... complicated."

I furrowed my brow, trying to wrap my head around the implications of his words. The concept of angelic and demonic bloodlines was still new to me, a world I was only beginning to understand. "So your mother wasn't purely angelic?" I probed gently, trying to understand the intricacies of Max's lineage.

His eyes clouded over for a moment, a distant look settling in. The wind seemed to pick up, as if responding to the shift in his mood. "Well, she started out that way," he began slowly, as if carefully choosing his words. We banked left, avoiding a flock of birds that had suddenly appeared in our path. "But she chose to stay in the demonic realm for a long time. It changed her."

Max's voice grew softer, almost lost in the rush of wind around us. "I don't remember much about her appearance or even the sound of her voice. It's been years since I've seen her, and part of me isn't sure I want to see her again."

I felt a twinge of guilt for prying into such a sensitive topic, realizing that there were depths to Max's past that he carried with him, perhaps more burdened than he let on. The weight of his words hung heavy in the air between us.

"I'm sorry, Max," I apologized softly, shifting uncomfortably in the cool night air. "I didn't mean to dredge up painful memories."

Max shook his head, his expression softening as he looked at me with understanding. His wings adjusted, bringing us into a gentle glide that allowed us to talk more easily. "It's alright, Anne. You can ask me anything. I want you to know who I am, where I come from. It's just... some parts of my past are harder to talk about than others."

"Dangerous words," I teased lightly, attempting to lighten the mood despite the weight of our conversation. "Giving me free rein to ask anything might lead to some embarrassing questions."

He smiled back at me, a flicker of amusement dancing in his eyes. The moonlight caught the angles of his face, highlighting the otherworldly beauty that sometimes took my breath away. "Maybe so, but I trust you," he replied sincerely, his voice carrying a warmth that eased the tension between us. "Besides, I'm sure I could find a way to distract you if the questions get too personal."

I laughed, the sound carried away by the wind. "Oh really? And how exactly would you do that?"

In response, Max suddenly tucked in his wings, sending us into a steep dive. I gasped, clinging tighter to him as the ground rushed up to meet us. Just when I thought we might crash, he snapped his wings open, catching an updraft that sent us soaring back into the sky.