Chapter 8

I never expected to find myself face-to-face with my not-biological mom in a demon realm, of all places. But there I was, Anne Voulac, average 17-year-old turned interdimensional warrior (yeah, you read that right), staring at the woman who'd been both a stranger and a mother figure to me.

The twisted trees of the demon realm cast eerie shadows in the morning light. It was like something out of a Tim Burton movie, but way more intense. I'd been living here for weeks now, but the surreal landscape still threw me for a loop sometimes.

"Mom," I managed to say, the word feeling weird on my tongue. It had been a couple of days since I'd seen Beline, and now here she was, standing in front of me like no time had passed at all.

Beline smiled, looking relieved but nervous. Her eyes, a deep navy blue, searched my face. "I know this is a lot, Anne. But we need to talk."

 Max stood next to me, silent but supportive. His presence reminded me that even though my life had gone totally crazy, I wasn't alone. Max had been my rock through all of this – demon prince, Guardian, and now, my anchor in a storm of cosmic weirdness.

"Come in," I said, stepping aside to let her into our living room. It was weird seeing my mom in this place that had become my home. The room, with its mix of demon realm decor and the few Earth touches I'd managed to add, suddenly felt small and cramped.

Beline looked around, taking in the glowing crystals that served as lamps and the floating bookshelves filled with ancient tomes and my battered copy of "The Hunger Games."

"I never thought I'd find myself in a place like this," she murmured.

"It's... different," I admitted, glancing at Max. He was watching Beline with a guarded expression, probably wondering if she was going to try and take me away from all this.

Beline turned to face us, her gaze settling on Max. "Maximine, thank you for taking care of Anne. I know she's in good hands."

Max nodded, a flicker of emotion crossing his features. "It's my duty," he said simply, but I could hear the undercurrent of feeling in his voice. It wasn't just duty for him, and we both knew it.

I sat down on the couch, gesturing for Beline to join me. Max remained standing, a silent sentinel by my side. It was time to get some answers.

"Start from the beginning," I said, surprised by how steady my voice sounded. "Why are you here? And what do you know about all of... this?" I waved my hand vaguely, encompassing everything from the realms to the prophecy to my newfound abilities.

Beline took a deep breath, her gaze flickering between me and Max. "I suppose it's time you know the truth."And then she spilled a story that sounded like something out of a fantasy novel. Turns out, she wasn't just any angelic - she was a Guardian, sworn to protect different realms from these creepy things called Void Walkers. And apparently, there was this big prophecy about someone called a Nexus who could control energies between realms.

Plot twist: That Nexus? It's me.

"But why me?" I asked, feeling overwhelmed. "I'm just... normal."

Beline smiled gently. "You were chosen, Anne. It's in your blood."

I took a moment to process everything she was telling me. It was like finding out I was Harry Potter, Katniss Everdeen, and Percy Jackson all rolled into one. Part of me wanted to laugh hysterically, while another part wanted to curl up in a ball and pretend none of this was happening.

"What now?" I asked quietly, feeling a mix of fear and determination settle over me.

"Now," Beline said, her expression serious, "we train. We prepare you for what's coming. The Void Walkers are getting stronger every day, and we can't wait any longer."Max stepped forward, his voice firm. "We'll need to speed up Anne's training. She needs to master her abilities if she's going to have a chance against them."

Beline nodded in agreement. "Agreed. Every day counts now."

I took a deep breath, steeling myself for the challenges ahead. "Then let's get started."

So began the craziest part of my life. Instead of hanging at the mall or binging Netflix, I was training to save the universe. No pressure, right?

Max and Beline pushed me hard, teaching me how to use my new powers and navigate between realms. It was exhausting, but also kind of awesome. I mean, how many teens can say they can manipulate cosmic energy?

Our days started early. I'd wake up at dawn, wolf down a breakfast of weird demon realm fruits (think if a pomegranate and a dragon had a baby), and then it was straight to training.

Beline focused on teaching me how to control the energies that surged within me. It was like trying to grab hold of a lightning bolt – exhilarating, terrifying, and with a very real chance of frying myself if I messed up.

"Focus, Anne," Beline would say, her voice calm even as I accidentally set another training dummy on fire. "Feel the energy flowing through you. You don't control it; you guide it."

Max, on the other hand, was in charge of physical training. Sword fighting, hand-to-hand combat, and acrobatics became my new normal. Who needs PE when you're learning to backflip over a demon while swinging a magical sword?

"Keep your guard up!" Max would shout as he came at me with a flurry of attacks. I'd dodge and parry, my muscles screaming in protest but a grin on my face. Despite the high stakes, part of me loved this.

But it wasn't all action. Beline taught me about the history of the realms and the ancient Guardians who'd fought the Void Walkers before. It was like the most intense thing ever, except the fate of the universe depended on me passing.

"The balance between realms is delicate," Beline explained one afternoon as we pored over ancient maps. "The Void Walkers seek to disrupt this balance, to plunge all realms into chaos."

"But why?" I asked, tracing the intricate lines that connected different realms. "What do they get out of it?"

Beline's expression darkened. "Power. In the chaos of a collapsing multiverse, they believe they can reshape reality to their will."

Heavy stuff for a summer vacation, right? And school wasn't even out yet! I doubted I would even be going back, and if I did, hell, I would be surprised.

Despite the grueling schedule, I found myself improving faster than I thought possible. Energy manipulation became second nature, and I could hold my own against Max in our sparring sessions (well, sometimes).

One night, after a particularly brutal training session, Max and I were chilling by the fire in the training room. The flames danced hypnotically, casting flickering shadows on the walls.

"You're getting better," he said, giving me that smile that always made my heart do backflips.

I sighed, leaning back against the wall. "I feel like I barely know anything."

Max turned to look at me, his eyes gentle yet filled with pride. "You're doing amazing, Anne. I couldn't be prouder."

I met his gaze, grateful for his unwavering support. "I couldn't do this without you, Max. You've been with me every step of the way."

He smiled softly. "That's what Guardians do, right? Protect those who need it."

I reached out and took his hand, squeezing it tightly. "Thank you."

We sat there in comfortable silence, the weight of our responsibilities momentarily forgotten. For a moment, we were just two teenagers, enjoying each other's company.

But of course, the moment couldn't last.
Before I could respond (maybe with a kiss, who knows?), Max's dad Azazel showed up. Talk about a mood killer. Don't get me wrong, Azazel was impressive – all imposing presence and ancient wisdom – but he had a knack for interrupting at the worst times.

"Anne. Maximine," his voice echoed through the room.We turned to see him standing in the doorway, his expression unreadable. His presence sent a ripple of tension through the room, a reminder of the looming threat we faced.

"Father," Max said, standing respectfully. "What brings you here?"

Azazel stepped into the room, his gaze fixed on me. "It's time."

I felt a chill run down my spine. "Time for what?"

"To face the Void Walkers," Azazel replied, his voice grave. "They've grown bolder, and their influence spreads like a disease through the realms."

My heart raced, but I forced myself to meet Azazel's gaze without flinching. "What do you need me to do?"

Azazel's lips curled into a grim smile. "You must journey to the heart of the void, where the barriers between realms are weakest. There, you will face the Void Walkers and challenge their hold."

I glanced at Max, who nodded silently. Despite the fear that gnawed at my insides, I knew there was no turning back now.

"When do we leave?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Tomorrow," Azazel said, his voice echoing in the stillness of the room. "Prepare yourself, Anne. This will be your greatest test."

As Azazel turned to leave, I exchanged a glance with Max. His eyes were filled with determination, mirrored in my own heart. We were ready, as ready as we would ever be, to face the darkness that threatened to engulf us all.

That night, I barely slept. I tossed and turned, my mind racing with thoughts of what lay ahead. Part of me was terrified – I mean, who wouldn't be? But another part, a part that had grown stronger over these weeks of training, was itching for action. This was what I'd been preparing for, right?

As the first light of dawn crept through my window, I got up and started packing. What do you bring to a cosmic showdown? I settled on some extra clothes, a few energy bars (demon realm edition – don't ask), and the locket Beline had given me years ago. For luck, I guess.

We gathered in the courtyard of Azazel's fortress, a small group braced for the journey ahead. Beline stood beside me, her expression a mask of concern.

"Are you ready, Anne?" she asked quietly, her gaze searching mine.

I nodded, swallowing the lump in my throat. "As ready as I'll ever be."

Max approached, his presence reassuring as always. "We've prepared as much as we can," he said, his voice steady. "Now it's time to face the Void Walkers head-on."

Azazel joined us, his imposing figure casting a shadow over the courtyard. "The journey to the heart of the void will not be easy," he warned, his voice grave. "The barriers between realms are treacherous, and the Void Walkers will not hesitate to test your resolve."

I squared my shoulders, drawing strength from the determination in Azazel's voice. "I understand," I said, my voice steady despite the turmoil within me. "I'm ready to do whatever it takes."

Beline placed a reassuring hand on my arm. "Remember everything you've learned," she said softly. "Trust in yourself, Anne. You have the power within you to face this challenge."

With a deep breath, I turned towards the swirling portal that Azazel had conjured before us. Its surface shimmered with an unsettling darkness, a stark contrast to the morning sunlight that filtered through the yard.

"Let's go," I said, my voice firm.

Together, we stepped through the portal, the transition like being pulled into a vortex of swirling energies and shifting realities. Colors and shapes blurred around me, disorienting yet strangely exhilarating. When I finally emerged on the other side, I found myself in a realm that defied description.
The air here was thick with an oppressive darkness that seemed to press down on me from all sides. Shadows flickered and danced, their movements unsettling and unpredictable. The very ground beneath my feet felt unstable, as if it could shift at any moment and swallow me whole.

"We're in the heart of the void," Azazel's voice echoed beside me, his tone grim.

I glanced around, trying to make sense of our surroundings. The landscape was a surreal collage of twisted forms and eerie silhouettes, devoid of life yet pulsing with an unseen malevolence. In the distance, I could sense a gathering darkness, a presence that sent a shiver down my spine.

"The Void Walkers," Max muttered, his hand tightening on the hilt of his sword.

They emerged from the shadows, their forms shifting and indistinct like wisps of smoke given shape. Their eyes burned with an unnatural light, fixating on us with an intensity that sent a wave of dread through my being.

"Anne," Beline's voice broke through my thoughts, her tone urgent. "Focus. Remember your training."

I nodded, drawing on the teachings and exercises that Beline and Max had drilled into me over the past weeks. I centered myself, reaching deep within to tap into the energies that surged within me. It was like grasping at threads of power, threads that wove through the fabric of reality itself.

With a steadying breath, I raised my hands, palms outstretched towards the advancing Void Walkers. I focused on the connection between realms, on the energy that flowed through me like a torrent waiting to be unleashed.

"Stand back," I warned my companions, my voice resonating with newfound authority.

I felt the power surge through me, threatening to overwhelm if not channeled properly. But with Beline's guidance echoing in my mind, I focused my will and directed the energy outward.

Light erupted from my fingertips, a brilliant burst of energy that cut through the darkness like a beacon of hope. The Void Walkers recoiled, their forms dissipating momentarily before reforming with renewed fury.

"Again," Max called out beside me, his voice a steady encouragement.

I nodded, pushing myself further, reaching deeper into the well of power that seemed boundless in this moment of need. Another surge of energy erupted from me, engulfing the Void Walkers in a blaze of light and force.

For a moment, the darkness seemed to falter. The Void Walkers hesitated, their advance momentarily stalled by the sheer force of my onslaught. But then, as if fueled by their own malevolence, they regrouped and charged forward once more.

"They're relentless," Beline muttered beside me, her voice tinged with frustration.

Azazel stepped forward, his sword flashing in the dim light of this forsaken realm. "Keep fighting, Anne," he urged, his voice a steady anchor amidst the chaos. "You're holding them back."

I gritted my teeth, my entire being focused on the task at hand. With each surge of power, I felt the strain on my body and mind grow, the toll of wielding such immense energies becoming increasingly apparent. I pushed through the fatigue and continued to unleash wave after wave of energy against the encroaching darkness.

Time seemed to blur as we fought, moments stretching into eternity amidst the clash of forces and the eerie silence that permeated this realm. The Void Walkers pressed on, their attacks relentless and unyielding, testing the limits of my endurance and resolve.

But then, just as I felt myself teetering on the edge of exhaustion, a change rippled through the air. The darkness around us seemed to waver, the oppressive atmosphere lifting ever so slightly. I glanced around, my breath catching in my throat as I realized what was happening.

"We're weakening them," Max called out, his voice filled with a mix of relief and determination.

Beline nodded beside him, her expression a mask of concentration as she continued to provide support from the sidelines. "Keep pushing, Anne. You're making a difference."

With renewed determination, I summoned the last reserves of my strength. I focused every ounce of willpower on the task before me, channeling the energy within me into one final, desperate assault against the remaining Void Walkers.

Light erupted once more, a blinding cascade of power that engulfed the shadowy forms of our adversaries. For a moment, the air crackled with raw energy, the clash of forces reaching a crescendo that seemed to resonate through the very fabric of reality.

And then, with a suddenness that was almost startling, the darkness receded. The Void Walkers dissolved into nothingness, their forms dispersing like smoke in the wind. Silence descended upon the void, broken only by the sound of our ragged breaths and the faint hum of residual energies dissipating into the ether.

"We did it," I whispered, my voice barely audible amidst the aftermath of our battle.

Max approached, his expression a mix of relief and admiration. "You did it, Anne," he said softly