Chapter 8: Someone I'm Not-Layto

I pretended to be asleep. The Devil stirred behind me, and I was too terrified by what he might try to do to me. Though he made it clear he wanted my consent, it obviously didn't keep his hands off me, or his mouth.

His fingers stroked lazy circles along my hip as I laid motionless. It was hard to keep my body from responding to his touch when all that mother fucker wanted to do as arch into his touch or just roll over and pull him into me. Kiss his lips, feel his skin against mine. No—I had to be strong. That old saying about avoiding temptations, and them being the Devils work was truer than ever as I kept my eyes squeezed shut and tried to blank it all out.

It seemed like forever before the mattress sprang back up from being held down by his weight. The sound of his feet as he padded across the room, then a door closing. I waited a few moments after, just listening before bolting from the bed. When I slid down to the floor, I raced to the door where he had let me in.

A throat clearing startled me as I gripped the handle, and I turned to see him standing with his arms crossed over his bare chest by the far door. My muscles locked, and my hand fell away from the handle. He was controlling me again. "Where are you going little one?"

He began walking toward me and my body turned, matching his steps and led me to him until I stopped a foot away. "I thought I told you not to leave this room?"

"I . . . I needed to go to the bathroom. You didn't show me where it was," I told him, hoping he wasn't doing that thing where he reads my thoughts. Then he would see the flutter of excuses and my scheming. He stared at me for a long moment then he took my hand and led me back across the room to the same door he had stood by.

"This is the bathroom." Everything was black. From the marbled floors to the oversized onyx tub that above, that would be considered closer to the size of a hot tub. The long counter was the same marble as the floor, brightly polished and clean. Golden hands reached from the walls, firmly grasping candles that flickered shadows across the space. The toilet was just beyond the tub behind a silver screen.

"This is so . . . nice." I stared in awe, picturing myself sinking into the tub and soaking up the relaxing hot water.

"Being me has it's perks." He stood leaned against the doorway; a smug grin set on his lips. "Would you like me to draw you a bath?"

I tucked my hair behind my ear and heat filled my cheeks. I nodded. "I would like that." Maybe it would give me some time to myself to formulate a plan, clear my mind and help bring back some of my rational thinking. The Devil walked past me as turned the obsidian knobs, and crystal-clear water flowed into the tub as steam billowed into the air above.

He pulled a towel from below the sink and handed it to me. It was luxurious and smooth, and black like the rest of the decor. "I'll fetch you a change of clothes."

"That's okay. I have some in my bag."

He smirked; his hand pressed against the counter. "The clothes you have will only make you stand out. You need something more fitting." He turned and walked out and shut the door behind him, leaving me alone in the steaming bathroom.

Slightly dreading what he would bring, having not seen anyone else to compare, I sighed and stripped down. The tub was almost about full, so I turned the knob to cut the flow. I sat on the side and dipped my toes into the water. It was the perfect amount of heat that would surely sooth my mind, and there was subtle fragrance to the water, almost sweet and floral that filled my nose as I lowered myself down.

I reclined back against the side of the tub, my arms draped over the edge as I shut my eyes and let the water work its magic. I could live in this tub. The smoothness of the water, the heat, was so relaxing that I wanted to fall asleep. It wasn't until I heard the door snick shut, that I looked up to see him standing beside the tub looking down at me. Nothing but the clear water to cover my body and my skin that had turned pink from the heat.